Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python GTK import error

Python GTK import error

Douglas Soares de Andrade

Hi !

The error is that the system ins't finding this lib:

/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

Try to see if your system has it.

See ya !

--
Douglas Soares de Andrade - UnilesteMG
Linux User: #237615

Qianqian Fang

hi

I installed Fedora Core 2 in my desktop and it has been running
flawlessly in the last few months until I upgraded some packages
(gtk/gtk-devel/python) to the latest version via apt-get. Now, when I
execute any system configuration gui program, i.e.
/usr/bin/system-config-*, it raises an error message as follows:

File "/usr/src/build/375621-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
line 43, in ?
ImportError: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
atk_object_add_relationship

(the top line may vary, but the last line is the same for all of them)
and the script exits after the error.

I don't know if anybody met this before, and how can I fix it?
thank you very much!

Qianqian

Qianqian Fang

no, the file is there, it actually links to another file:

/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.13

but both files are in the right locations.
anything else that is suspecious to the problem?

thanks

Douglas Soares de Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi !
>
> The error is that the system ins't finding this lib:
>
> /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
>
> Try to see if your system has it.
>
> See ya !

Andrew James

Try checking the permissions on the link and the library - if you
installed the module manually the permissions may not allow anyone but
the root user to import the module.

Andrew

--
Andrew James <(E-Mail Removed)>

Qianqian Fang

sorry keep bugging you guys, but this is somehow a wield problem that
I am eager to solve.

I checked the permission and it looks fine to me:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Nov 28 04:06 /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
-> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.13

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2862900 Oct 15 14:23
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.13

I even run with root, the error message "ImportError:
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
atk_object_add_relationship" still comes out.

I always try to avoid installing packages manually, rpm or apt-get is
my preferred way. However, this time, it beats my working principle
because this error message appeared after I upgraded packages using
"synaptic", an apt-get GUI. now, I don't even trust apt-get

Andrew James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Try checking the permissions on the link and the library - if you
> installed the module manually the permissions may not allow anyone but
> the root user to import the module.
>
> Andrew

Dave Cook

On 2004-11-23, Qianqian Fang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ImportError: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:

Try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

or wherever the .so is. If this works, add that dir to

/etc/ld.so.conf

and run (as root)

ldconfig -v

Dave Cook