Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Distutils and alternative installation directories

Distutils and alternative installation directories

Jeremy Sanders

I've been installing modules in Unix by using

python setup.py install --home=/usr/local/python/python-2.3

In PYTHONPATH I've included the
/usr/local/python/python-2.3/lib/python
directory (BTW, do I need to include . in PYTHONPATH?)

However, one module (Numeric) puts a file in the
/usr/local/python/python-2.3/lib/python directory. The directories in this
file don't get added to the sys.path list. Is there anyway to fix this,
except by explicitly adding the directories in the Numeric.pth file to the
PYTHONPATH?

Also I'm installing a module which uses numarray. Can I get distutils take
account of the location of numarray when building this module? It doesn't
add -I/usr/local/python/python-2.3/include to the compilation flags.

Thanks

Jeremy