Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Help for a newbie in Python and ZODB

Help for a newbie in Python and ZODB

Jean-Louis Nespoulous

Hello everybody,
I am in charge to develop a system who will analyse a network, type
Three-Tier Architecture. I would like to use ZODB or (exclusive)
PostgreSQL. But I don't know witch one to use? Someone could help me
and tell me what are the differencies between ZODB and PostgreSQL. My
system will be developped in Java. If I use ZODB how I'll make the
transition with Python?
Thank you very much

Diez B. Roggisch

> I am in charge to develop a system who will analyse a network, type
> Three-Tier Architecture. I would like to use ZODB or (exclusive)
> PostgreSQL. But I don't know witch one to use? Someone could help me
> and tell me what are the differencies between ZODB and PostgreSQL. My
> system will be developped in Java. If I use ZODB how I'll make the
> transition with Python?

You can't use zodb from java. And if your system is developed in java, where
comes python into the equation at all? In the form of jython? While that
surely would be a good choice for ease of programming, it also won't allow
you to access zodb.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch

Thomas Guettler

Am Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:41:39 -0800 schrieb Jean-Louis Nespoulous:

> Hello everybody,
> I am in charge to develop a system who will analyse a network, type
> Three-Tier Architecture. I would like to use ZODB or (exclusive)
> PostgreSQL. But I don't know witch one to use?

> Someone could help me
> and tell me what are the differencies between ZODB and PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL is a relational database. You store data in tables which
have columns and rows. You access it with SQL. PostgreSQL supports
inheritance, but you still need some mapping between your objects and the
database. You can access postgres with any programming language.

> My system will be developped in Java. If I use ZODB how I'll make the
> transition with Python?

If you use Java, you can't use ZODB.

ZODB stores pickled (serialized) objects.
Here you don't need a mapping between objects and database.
SQL makes no sense with ZODB. The query language is python.

HTH,
Thomas

Jean-Louis Nespoulous

Thanks, but I'll use ZODB as server and I'll get and retreive objet
from a distance client using XML-RPC, do you think it's possible
easily?
Jean-Louis

Thomas Guettler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Am Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:41:39 -0800 schrieb Jean-Louis Nespoulous:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> > I am in charge to develop a system who will analyse a network, type
> > Three-Tier Architecture. I would like to use ZODB or (exclusive)
> > PostgreSQL. But I don't know witch one to use?

> > Someone could help me
> > and tell me what are the differencies between ZODB and PostgreSQL?

> PostgreSQL is a relational database. You store data in tables which
> have columns and rows. You access it with SQL. PostgreSQL supports
> inheritance, but you still need some mapping between your objects and the
> database. You can access postgres with any programming language.
>
> > My system will be developped in Java. If I use ZODB how I'll make the
> > transition with Python?

> If you use Java, you can't use ZODB.
>
> ZODB stores pickled (serialized) objects.
> Here you don't need a mapping between objects and database.
> SQL makes no sense with ZODB. The query language is python.
>
> HTH,
> Thomas

Thomas Guettler

Am Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:53:17 -0800 schrieb Jean-Louis Nespoulous:

> Thanks, but I'll use ZODB as server and I'll get and retreive objet
> from a distance client using XML-RPC, do you think it's possible
> easily?
> Jean-Louis

If you want XML-RPC, you need some http server.
This means you need quixote or something similar.

You can look at the Publisher of Dulcinea. It does
retry a request if you get a conflict error.

I recommend you to just take the start_request of Dulcinea
and write a small quixote Publisher yourself.

Then return XML which is valid according to the xml-rpc spec.

HTH,
Thomas