Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Microsoft Patents 'IsNot'

Re: Microsoft Patents 'IsNot'

Terry Reedy

"Skip Montanaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) g...

> My guess is Microsoft hopes to discourage Visual Basic knock-offs. Claim
> 2
> clearly seems to restrict the scope to BASIC.

But Claim 1 is generic. Not being an initiate into Patentese, I would not
be sure is Claim 2 is a restriction or an exemplification or a backup
claim.

> Seems pretty slimy.

To me, this confirms the depravity of software claims.

I think the Python Software Foundation should notify both the Patent Office
and the claimant lawyers of Python's prior art of an 'is not' operator with
the same meaning. The necessity, for Basic, to delete the space or change
it to '_' (and both forms, with all variations of casing, are 'claimed' as
inventions) is because Microsoft Basic currently parses 'a Is Not b' as 'a
Is (Not b)' instead of 'a (Is Not) b' as Python does and coupled with a
proper reluctance to change the meaning of currently legal code. But
changing ' ' to '_' for pragmatic reasons is standard in programming
languages, including Python.

Terry J. Reedy

Steve Holden

Terry Reedy wrote:

> "Skip Montanaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) g...
>
>>My guess is Microsoft hopes to discourage Visual Basic knock-offs. Claim
>>2
>>clearly seems to restrict the scope to BASIC.

> But Claim 1 is generic. Not being an initiate into Patentese, I would not
> be sure is Claim 2 is a restriction or an exemplification or a backup
> claim.

The normal method of applying for a patent starts with the most general
claims and has subsequent claims restricting the scope successively. The
argument then becomes how far down the list the patent examiner must go
before seeing what he or she regards as a defensible claim.

>>Seems pretty slimy.

Yep.

> To me, this confirms the depravity of software claims.

Stupidity, I should have said.

> I think the Python Software Foundation should notify both the Patent Office
> and the claimant lawyers of Python's prior art of an 'is not' operator with
> the same meaning. The necessity, for Basic, to delete the space or change
> it to '_' (and both forms, with all variations of casing, are 'claimed' as
> inventions) is because Microsoft Basic currently parses 'a Is Not b' as 'a
> Is (Not b)' instead of 'a (Is Not) b' as Python does and coupled with a
> proper reluctance to change the meaning of currently legal code. But
> changing ' ' to '_' for pragmatic reasons is standard in programming
> languages, including Python.

While I admire the sentiment, I can't really support the Foundation
becoming involved in such nonsense.

regards
Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com
http://pydish.holdenweb.com

Steve Holden

Terry Reedy wrote:

> "Skip Montanaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) g...
>
>>My guess is Microsoft hopes to discourage Visual Basic knock-offs. Claim
>>2
>>clearly seems to restrict the scope to BASIC.

> But Claim 1 is generic. Not being an initiate into Patentese, I would not
> be sure is Claim 2 is a restriction or an exemplification or a backup
> claim.

The normal method of applying for a patent starts with the most general
claims and has subsequent claims restricting the scope successively. The
argument then becomes how far down the list the patent examiner must go
before seeing what he or she regards as a defensible claim.

>>Seems pretty slimy.

Yep.