Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Strange behaviour with PIX doing PAT

Strange behaviour with PIX doing PAT

Lonnie

I have been having trouble transfering large files on my network. When
one of my clients uses SQL enterprise mamanger to connect to a group
of 5 SQL servers in the DMZ it causes all large file transfers to and
from the Internal int to the DMZ int to fail. We get the generic error
"The specified network name is no longer available". Only users that
are using the same global PAT are effected. I have another machine
that has a static NAT that can transfer files to and from the Int to
the DMZ with no problems. USing the show xlate command I can see that
the SQL enterprise manager is using about 40-50 translations. When he
stops using the app, everything is back to normal. I had another user
connect to the group of servers using the SQL ent manager and the same
thing happened. Anybody know what is going on.

Thanks,

Lonnie

jt

Hi Lonnie,

this is just an assumption ( I'm not mister know-it-all ) but PAT
uses random port numbers while NAT does it 1:1. So, PAT-based
requests may fail when the target replies originate from a different port
and the PIX does not have a slot for it. Try "logging trap info" to see if
it's an xlate issue ( not trans group found for....outside...inside ).

jt

"Lonnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have been having trouble transfering large files on my network. When
> one of my clients uses SQL enterprise mamanger to connect to a group
> of 5 SQL servers in the DMZ it causes all large file transfers to and
> from the Internal int to the DMZ int to fail. We get the generic error
> "The specified network name is no longer available". Only users that
> are using the same global PAT are effected. I have another machine
> that has a static NAT that can transfer files to and from the Int to
> the DMZ with no problems. USing the show xlate command I can see that
> the SQL enterprise manager is using about 40-50 translations. When he
> stops using the app, everything is back to normal. I had another user
> connect to the group of servers using the SQL ent manager and the same
> thing happened. Anybody know what is going on.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Lonnie

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Lonnie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I have been having trouble transfering large files on my network. When
ne of my clients uses SQL enterprise mamanger to connect to a group
f 5 SQL servers in the DMZ it causes all large file transfers to and
:from the Internal int to the DMZ int to fail. We get the generic error
:"The specified network name is no longer available". Only users that
:are using the same global PAT are effected.

How are those other users transfering their files?

:I have another machine
:that has a static NAT that can transfer files to and from the Int to
:the DMZ with no problems. USing the show xlate command I can see that
:the SQL enterprise manager is using about 40-50 translations.

That bit about 40-50 translations reminds me of something I read
on the cisco site just a few days ago. Is the person using the SQL
manager perchance connecting to your network using a VPN?
--
Usenet is one of those "Good News/Bad News" comedy routines.