Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Pyrex on Windows

Pyrex on Windows

SM

Hi,
I would like to play with Pyrex for Windows. I have no clue how to
install it including a c compiler. Anyone using pyrex on windows who
could give a quickstart?
Stani

http://spe.pycs.net
http://www.stani.be

Mike Rovner

SM wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to play with Pyrex for Windows. I have no clue how to
> install it including a c compiler. Anyone using pyrex on windows who
> could give a quickstart?
> Stani

You better have some clues about C language first including installing a
compiler and writing some sample programms.

If you skip that step you likely be stucked in debris of _compiled_
Pyrex programs you'll have absolutely no idea how to dial with.

Once you mastered that you can simply use distutils to _invoke_ C
compiler in order to get you .pyd files.

Mike

Richard Blackwood

Mike Rovner wrote:

> SM wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I would like to play with Pyrex for Windows. I have no clue how to
>> install it including a c compiler. Anyone using pyrex on windows who
>> could give a quickstart?
>> Stani

> You better have some clues about C language first including installing
> a compiler and writing some sample programms.

Sounds good, but then again, he said he wanted to _play_ with Pyrex, why
discourage him?

> If you skip that step you likely be stucked in debris of _compiled_
> Pyrex programs you'll have absolutely no idea how to dial with.
>
> Once you mastered that you can simply use distutils to _invoke_ C
> compiler in order to get you .pyd files.
>
> Mike

What are you trying to tell him Mike?

Richard Blackwood

Mike Rovner wrote:

> Richard Blackwood wrote:
>
>> Sounds good, but then again, he said he wanted to _play_ with Pyrex,
>> why discourage him?

> What would you say to a kid trying to play with matches?

I expect that that wink indicates you are aware that Pyrex is not a box
of matches, and he has little to nothing other than time to lose.

>> What are you trying to tell him Mike?

> "You are too small to play with it. It's not your toy (yet)."

What danger will he come upon?

> Sorry, life is harsh.

Programming certainly is not, unless he is exploring this for career/job
purposes.