Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > possible to pass python objects into java without jython?

possible to pass python objects into java without jython?

Maurice Ling

Hi,

I have read that this had been asked before but there's no satisfactory
replies then.

I have a module (pA) written in python, which originally is called by
another python module (pB), and passes a python object (pO) to pB. Now I
require pA to be called in a java class (jC) and pass pO into jC. As pA
uses non-python modules, I am not able to use Jython on this.

Are there any way out in this?

Thanks in advance.

Maurice

Mike Meyer

Maurice Ling <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have read that this had been asked before but there's no
> satisfactory replies then.
>
> I have a module (pA) written in python, which originally is called by
> another python module (pB), and passes a python object (pO) to pB. Now
> I require pA to be called in a java class (jC) and pass pO into jC. As
> pA uses non-python modules, I am not able to use Jython on this.
>
> Are there any way out in this?

CORBA.

<mike

Istvan Albert

Maurice Ling wrote:

> Are there any way out in this?

No.

Steve Menard

Maurice Ling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read that this had been asked before but there's no satisfactory
> replies then.
>
> I have a module (pA) written in python, which originally is called by
> another python module (pB), and passes a python object (pO) to pB. Now I
> require pA to be called in a java class (jC) and pass pO into jC. As pA
> uses non-python modules, I am not able to use Jython on this.
>
> Are there any way out in this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Maurice

The simple answer is no. The complex answer is maybe, but not without
some work on your part.

As part of JPype I made the opposite : allow Python to use Java classes.
That was easy as python is very dynamic.

Going the other way around .... I don;t see how. The java part must want
to receive a specific Java type. Even if that type is Object (the root
of all object types in Java), tehre is no way for Python object to be
one of those.

Case #1 : the "main" program is in Python, and the Java type to be
received is a Java interface. In that specific case, JPype
(http://jpype.sourceforge.net) can help you. You can "wrap" your pO into
the correct Java type and apss it in.

Otherwise, as has been mantioned before, you will need some kind of
remoting mechanism. Corba might provide a middle ground, or XML-RPC/SOAP.

Good luck.

Steve

Maurice LING

> The simple answer is no. The complex answer is maybe, but not without
> some work on your part.
>
> As part of JPype I made the opposite : allow Python to use Java classes.
> That was easy as python is very dynamic.
>
> Going the other way around .... I don;t see how. The java part must want
> to receive a specific Java type. Even if that type is Object (the root
> of all object types in Java), tehre is no way for Python object to be
> one of those.
>
> Case #1 : the "main" program is in Python, and the Java type to be
> received is a Java interface. In that specific case, JPype
> (http://jpype.sourceforge.net) can help you. You can "wrap" your pO into
> the correct Java type and apss it in.
>
> Otherwise, as has been mantioned before, you will need some kind of
> remoting mechanism. Corba might provide a middle ground, or XML-RPC/SOAP.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Steve

Hi,

Referring to this scenario again.....

pA.py contains
imports (something non-pure python)
def A(n):
...(does something)...
returns pO

pB.py comtains
import pA
def B(n):
(does something)
x = pA.A(n)
(does more things)

Perhaps if we lax the problem a little and allow Jython to be in
consideration and pB.py is implemented in Jython (as jyB.py), then using
jythonc to convert it into a Java package (jyB.jar containing
jython.jar, jyB.class and jyB$Inner.class). Am I then able to import jyB
in my Java codes? Is it possible to use Jython as the middle ground,
instead of CORBA or SOAP etc etc?

Thanks
Maurice

Steve Menard

Maurice LING wrote:

>> The simple answer is no. The complex answer is maybe, but not without
>> some work on your part.
>>
>> As part of JPype I made the opposite : allow Python to use Java
>> classes. That was easy as python is very dynamic.
>>
>> Going the other way around .... I don;t see how. The java part must
>> want to receive a specific Java type. Even if that type is Object (the
>> root of all object types in Java), tehre is no way for Python object
>> to be one of those.
>>
>> Case #1 : the "main" program is in Python, and the Java type to be
>> received is a Java interface. In that specific case, JPype
>> (http://jpype.sourceforge.net) can help you. You can "wrap" your pO
>> into the correct Java type and apss it in.
>>
>> Otherwise, as has been mantioned before, you will need some kind of
>> remoting mechanism. Corba might provide a middle ground, or XML-RPC/SOAP.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Steve

> Hi,
>
> Referring to this scenario again.....
>
> pA.py contains
> imports (something non-pure python)
> def A(n):
> ...(does something)...
> returns pO
>
> pB.py comtains
> import pA
> def B(n):
> (does something)
> x = pA.A(n)
> (does more things)
>
> Perhaps if we lax the problem a little and allow Jython to be in
> consideration and pB.py is implemented in Jython (as jyB.py), then using
> jythonc to convert it into a Java package (jyB.jar containing
> jython.jar, jyB.class and jyB$Inner.class). Am I then able to import jyB
> in my Java codes? Is it possible to use Jython as the middle ground,
> instead of CORBA or SOAP etc etc?
>
> Thanks
> Maurice

Jython has a Java API that allows calling Python code. The simplest way
however would be to turn your pB into a class implementing a given Java
interface. Then java code can easily instantiate your Python class and
use it through the interface.

However the problem remains ... just what kind of object is this pO ?
Using Jython will not magically allow regular Java code to understand
python objects. NAd you still have to bridge between CPython and Jython ...

Steve