Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Token Ring Cables

Cisco Token Ring Cables

Mike Hanson

Hello,

i got my hands on some of these 2504 and 2523 series router. Now im kinda lost
within the price list of cisco.

Here are my questions:
1. what is the part number for a cisco db-9 to rj-45 cable (to mau) ?
1b. i saw some db-9 to rj-45 adapter. what is the part number of that device ?
2. can i use a straight-through rj-45 cable for the device to mau cabling ?

Help I just wanna get up that token ring stuff with the cisco's.

Thank you very very much
Mike

Hansang Bae

In article <40b964d3$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hello,
>
> i got my hands on some of these 2504 and 2523 series router. Now im kinda lost
> within the price list of cisco.
>
> Here are my questions:
> 1. what is the part number for a cisco db-9 to rj-45 cable (to mau) ?
> 1b. i saw some db-9 to rj-45 adapter. what is the part number of that device ?
> 2. can i use a straight-through rj-45 cable for the device to mau cabling ?
> Help I just wanna get up that token ring stuff with the cisco's.
> Thank you very very much

You can use a straight through cable. But keep in mind that you need a
MAU (active or passive) for this to work. You can't put to TR stations
back to back.

--

hsb

Mike Hanson

Hi,

but i need to have an adapter for the Cisco DB-9 (female) port to rj-45.
whats the exact part number of that adapter ? or better... the pinout...

tia,
mike

Hansang Bae wrote:

> In article <40b964d3$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>i got my hands on some of these 2504 and 2523 series router. Now im kinda lost
>>within the price list of cisco.
>>
>>Here are my questions:
>>1. what is the part number for a cisco db-9 to rj-45 cable (to mau) ?
>>1b. i saw some db-9 to rj-45 adapter. what is the part number of that device ?
>>2. can i use a straight-through rj-45 cable for the device to mau cabling ?
>>Help I just wanna get up that token ring stuff with the cisco's.
>>Thank you very very much

> You can use a straight through cable. But keep in mind that you need a
> MAU (active or passive) for this to work. You can't put to TR stations
> back to back.

Marc Russell

You need a token-ring media filter. One is available on Ebay below. If that
doesn't work call me as I'm sure I have some lying around the warehouse
somewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Marc Russell
Network Learning, Inc.
Michigan
Ph# 248-620-9603
Toll Free# 888-654-2243 or 888-NLI-CCIE
Fax# 702-446-0357
Cell# 248-229-8114
www.ccbootcamp.com (Cisco Training)
www.routerie.com (Cisco R&S CCIE Discussion group)
www.securityie.com (Cisco Security CCIE Discussion group)
www.voiceie.com (Cisco Voice Discussion group)
www.optsys.net (Cisco hardware)

"Mike Hanson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> but i need to have an adapter for the Cisco DB-9 (female) port to rj-45.
> whats the exact part number of that adapter ? or better... the pinout...
>
> tia,
> mike
>
> Hansang Bae wrote:
>
> > In article <40b964d3$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>i got my hands on some of these 2504 and 2523 series router. Now im

kinda lost
> >>within the price list of cisco.
> >>
> >>Here are my questions:
> >>1. what is the part number for a cisco db-9 to rj-45 cable (to mau) ?
> >>1b. i saw some db-9 to rj-45 adapter. what is the part number of that

device ?
> >>2. can i use a straight-through rj-45 cable for the device to mau

cabling ?
> >>Help I just wanna get up that token ring stuff with the cisco's.
> >>Thank you very very much

> > You can use a straight through cable. But keep in mind that you need a
> > MAU (active or passive) for this to work. You can't put to TR stations
> > back to back.

Dan Lanciani

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike Hanson) writes:

| but i need to have an adapter for the Cisco DB-9 (female) port to rj-45.

The "DB9" (it really isn't DB isn't Cisco-specific. It is the typical
token ring attachment connector for host ends. Any token ring RJ45 "media
filter" should work for you. You might want to check eBay. For example:

| whats the exact part number of that adapter ?

I don't have a Cisco part number, but I could look at the numbers on some
non-Cisco units. Chances are you won't find the exact one(s) I have, so it
probably wouldn't be too helpful.

|or better... the pinout...

There are filter components in the adapter, so you need more than a pinout.
(Yes, it will work without the filter, but...)

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

AnyBody43

First a little suggestion:-

Clearly I do not know your circumstances, however, unless you are
a historian I would suggest that this is not worth bothering about
now.

In case you do wish to pursue it, note that the media filter,
referred to in earlier posts, contains more than wires.

I believe that is is an impedance matcher/converter between
150 ohm STP cable as suggested by IBM and 100 ohm UTP cable
as used by the rest of the planet.

I would guess that it contains capacitors and/or inductors.

PS
One of the last developments in TR was so called switched token
ring which had neither tokens nor rings. I think that speaks
volumes about the whole concept

Switched TR - Tokenless Ringless Wire (C).