Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Wrapping or converting Perl module?

Re: Wrapping or converting Perl module?

Terry Hancock

Okay, let's try rephrasing the question more concisely . . .

Are there any packages to help

1) Wrap a perl module the way you would a C module
(does this ever make sense to do?)

2) Automatically or Semi-automatically translate
a perl module/package/etc into a Python module?

3) Is there at least a guide somewhere to mapping
Perl OOP idioms to Python counterparts?

4) Or would I be better off just looking at the SQL
code and re-writing logic entirely?

I'm starting to be resigned to doing #4, but I didn't
want to if there's an easier way.

Cheers,
Terry

Istvan Albert

Terry Hancock wrote:

> 1) Wrap a perl module the way you would a C module
> (does this ever make sense to do?)

no

> 2) Automatically or Semi-automatically translate
> a perl module/package/etc into a Python module?

no

> 3) Is there at least a guide somewhere to mapping
> Perl OOP idioms to Python counterparts?

http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

http://www.python.org/moin/PerlPhrasebook

Istvan.

Terry Hancock

On Friday 05 November 2004 10:17 pm, Stelios Xanthakis wrote:
> Terry Hancock wrote:
> > 1) Wrap a perl module the way you would a C module
> > (does this ever make sense to do?)

> I don't know if it helps but do you know the "pyperl" module.
> It's rather interesting.

No I didn't. I'm surprised I didn't find it when googling
for a solution, but voila, typing "pyperl" gets some interesting
links.

I still have some trepidation about introducing a Perl
dependency into my code, but this is indeed what I was
looking for.

Cheers,
Terry

Stelios Xanthakis

Terry Hancock wrote:

> 1) Wrap a perl module the way you would a C module
> (does this ever make sense to do?)

I don't know if it helps but do you know the "pyperl" module.
It's rather interesting.

BTW, I hope pyperl becomes a standard python module.
All in all. Perl is great for Practical Extraction and Report.

Stelios

Stelios Xanthakis