Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: OT: Ruby programmers use Python (was Re: ruby on rails ...python on ?)

Re: OT: Ruby programmers use Python (was Re: ruby on rails ...python on ?)

Ed Leafe

On Nov 1, 2004, at 7:09 AM, Peter Hansen wrote:

>> Do you mean Zope?

> Most definitely not! Zope is a "content management system".

No, Zope is a web application framework. There is a product called
'Plone' that is a content management system built on Zope, but Zope
does quite a bit more than just content management.

___/
/
__/
/
____/
Ed Leafe
http://leafe.com/
http://dabodev.com/

Peter Hansen

Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2004, at 7:09 AM, Peter Hansen wrote:
>>> Do you mean Zope?

>> Most definitely not! Zope is a "content management system".

> No, Zope is a web application framework. There is a product called
> 'Plone' that is a content management system built on Zope, but Zope does
> quite a bit more than just content management.

Sure it does, but that doesn't mean that it is designed for
such. There are key features that arise out of the fact
that it was designed for content management... I've used it
extensively and am gradually weaning myself off it, finding it
too "cms"-centric for my liking and my needs.

See also my addition to the main thread on this topic, where
I note that I misread the rubyonrails site, which got me off-track
in the first place. (Doesn't change my answer above though...)

-Peter