Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco - Distribute-List and eigrp

Cisco - Distribute-List and eigrp

Reinhard

Hello,

I have a problem to understand how this distribute-lists work.
I have a router A in London and a router B in New York.
Router A connects via ISDN to its local partner routers (all located
in London)
and router B does the same in New York. Router A should be the backup
for router B and versa vice. So, if I (in location C) want to connect
to a router in London router A should call this router and should
establish this connection.

Works fine - but now someone suggest to put distribute-list into
router A and B and that is were my trouble starts.

I created an access-list 99 which permits my network 172.68.10.0 and
for each Dialer an access-list (name of the acess-list equal to Dialer
name) and I created a distribute-list for each dialer to the partner
router e.g.

access-list 99 permit 172.68.10.0

ip access-list Dialer1
permit 192.168.4.0

router eigrp 407
distribute-list 99 out Dialer1
distribute-list Dialer1 in Dialer1

router A and B have eigrp 407 configured. So I put all
distribute-lists under router eigrp 407 and ... nothing happens -
means I can't access the partner routers anymore. I get router A and B
but that's it.

Here a sample configuration

myPC 172.68.10.23 wants to connect to London City Server

172.68.10.23->172.68.10.1->172.1.2.5->172.168.2.1 ->192.168.4.33
mypc ->myGateway ->RouterX -> A via ISDN*-> London City

*Dialer will be Number 12 for example

in case of router A failure router B should call London City Server

172.68.10.23->172.68.10.1->172.1.1.5->172.168.1.1 ->192.168.4.33
mypc ->myGateway ->RouterY -> B via ISDN*-> London City

in this case Dialer is Number 30

Now, here is my question:
I was told that the Dialers on Router A and B must not have the same
Numbers - means that a Dialer1 on Router A calls London City and the
Dialer1 in New York calls a number in Harlem - is this true?
I thought, that eigrp will handle it that the distribute-lists are the
same on router A and router B. So if I configured it on A via eigrp B
has the same.

Thank you and hopefully I explained it well. Sorry for my bad english.
Reinhard

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Reinhard) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem to understand how this distribute-lists work.
> I have a router A in London and a router B in New York.
> Router A connects via ISDN to its local partner routers (all located
> in London)
> and router B does the same in New York. Router A should be the backup
> for router B and versa vice. So, if I (in location C) want to connect
> to a router in London router A should call this router and should
> establish this connection.
>
> Works fine - but now someone suggest to put distribute-list into
> router A and B and that is were my trouble starts.
>
> I created an access-list 99 which permits my network 172.68.10.0 and
> for each Dialer an access-list (name of the acess-list equal to Dialer
> name) and I created a distribute-list for each dialer to the partner
> router e.g.
>
> access-list 99 permit 172.68.10.0
>
> ip access-list Dialer1
> permit 192.168.4.0
>
> router eigrp 407
> distribute-list 99 out Dialer1
> distribute-list Dialer1 in Dialer1
>
> router A and B have eigrp 407 configured. So I put all
> distribute-lists under router eigrp 407 and ... nothing happens -
> means I can't access the partner routers anymore. I get router A and B
> but that's it.

Try using "debug ip igrp" to see what's happening.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Reinhard

Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Reinhard) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a problem to understand how this distribute-lists work.
> > I have a router A in London and a router B in New York.
> > Router A connects via ISDN to its local partner routers (all located
> > in London)
> > and router B does the same in New York. Router A should be the backup
> > for router B and versa vice. So, if I (in location C) want to connect
> > to a router in London router A should call this router and should
> > establish this connection.
> >
> > Works fine - but now someone suggest to put distribute-list into
> > router A and B and that is were my trouble starts.
> >
> > I created an access-list 99 which permits my network 172.68.10.0 and
> > for each Dialer an access-list (name of the acess-list equal to Dialer
> > name) and I created a distribute-list for each dialer to the partner
> > router e.g.
> >
> > access-list 99 permit 172.68.10.0
> >
> > ip access-list Dialer1
> > permit 192.168.4.0
> >
> > router eigrp 407
> > distribute-list 99 out Dialer1
> > distribute-list Dialer1 in Dialer1
> >
> > router A and B have eigrp 407 configured. So I put all
> > distribute-lists under router eigrp 407 and ... nothing happens -
> > means I can't access the partner routers anymore. I get router A and B
> > but that's it.

> Try using "debug ip igrp" to see what's happening.

Thank you - I will give it a try
Reinhard