Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > strongly typed

strongly typed

Gabriel Zachmann

On
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language

I read that Python is a strongly typed language,
while C++ is regarded a weakly typed language in that article.

Could somebody please explain to me why Python is a more strongly typed
language than C++?

All pointers and insights will be highly appreciated,
Gabriel.

--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| We act as though comfort and luxury |

Thomas =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kr=FCger?=

Gabriel Zachmann wrote:

> On
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language
>
> I read that Python is a strongly typed language,
> while C++ is regarded a weakly typed language in that article.
>
> Could somebody please explain to me why Python is a more strongly typed
> language than C++?
>
> All pointers and insights will be highly appreciated,
> Gabriel.

This may give the answer:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?StronglyTyped

Thomas

Terry Reedy

"Gabriel Zachmann" <(E-Mail Removed)-bonn.de> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-bonn.de...
> On
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language
>
> I read that Python is a strongly typed language,
> while C++ is regarded a weakly typed language in that article.
>
> Could somebody please explain to me why Python is a more strongly typed
> language than C++?
>
> All pointers and insights will be highly appreciated,

There have been past discussions in this newsgroup that you may be able to
find with Google.

Terry J. Reedy

Andy Baker

Here is the best article I've read on the subject:

This one also looks interesting and I'm just about to read it myself:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TypingQuadrant

Gabriel Zachmann

> There have been past discussions in this newsgroup that you may be able to
> find with Google.

indeed (blush)
thanks a lot!

gabriel