Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Regarding 2501 ethernet error statistics

Regarding 2501 ethernet error statistics

NetworkElf

A network of mine consists of a 2510 router (as a default gateway) and
a 3550 Layer3 switch connecting hosts in two VLANs. Recently, we have
been reported by the end users that they get slow respond from the
Telnet session. In troubleshooting the problem, I have the following
finding:

Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is Lance, address is 0000.0c07.ac01 (bia 0000.0c3a.8f76)
Internet address is
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec, rely 255/255, load
13/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d23h
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue 0/40, 30 drops; input queue 1/75, 0 drops
7164216 packets input, 3036007075 bytes, 0 no buffer
20 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 20 ignored, 0 abort
6953428 packets output, 3811114393 bytes, 4 underruns
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 265160 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

As we can see there are many output errors, collisions, deferred in
outbound traffic. I would like to know is it normal to have such
figures for a router running ethernet (10Mb/s and half duplex)
directly connected to 3550 layer switch? If not, what is the problem
to contribute these figures?

Thank you in advanced!!

Best Regards,
Jeff

Phillip Remaker

"NetworkElf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> 6953428 packets output, 3811114393 bytes, 4 underruns
> 890 output errors, 184316 collisions, 4 interface resets
> 0 babbles, 0 late collision, 265160 deferred
> 0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
> 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
>
> As we can see there are many output errors, collisions, deferred in
> outbound traffic. I would like to know is it normal to have such
> figures for a router running ethernet (10Mb/s and half duplex)

Is the switch forced to 10MB half depolex on that port?

What kind of AUI transciever are you using?

A "show controller" might be enlightening, since that will pull more details
from the ethernet chip. I don't know if the show interface data is complete
on a 2510 (old router!)

Any errors reported by the 3550?

AnyBody43

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (NetworkElf) wrote
> A network of mine consists of a 2510 router (as a default gateway) and
> a 3550 Layer3 switch connecting hosts in two VLANs. Recently, we have
> been reported by the end users that they get slow respond from the
> Telnet session. In troubleshooting the problem, I have the following
> finding:

> MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec, rely 255/255, load
> 13/255
> Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d23h
> Output queue 0/40, 30 drops; input queue 1/75, 0 drops
> 5 minute input rate 561000 bits/sec, 139 packets/sec
> 5 minute output rate 511000 bits/sec, 102 packets/sec
> 7164216 packets input, 3036007075 bytes, 0 no buffer
> Received 283519 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
> 20 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 20 ignored, 0 abort
> 0 input packets with dribble condition detected
> 6953428 packets output, 3811114393 bytes, 4 underruns
> 890 output errors, 184316 collisions, 4 interface resets
> 0 babbles, 0 late collision, 265160 deferred

> As we can see there are many output errors, collisions, deferred in
> outbound traffic. I would like to know is it normal to have such
> figures for a router running ethernet (10Mb/s and half duplex)
> directly connected to 3550 layer switch? If not, what is the problem
> to contribute these figures?

The network she is full Captain!

There are no indications that there is anything *wrong*. However,

The "20 Ignored" are I think an indication that the router has
either run out of buffers or is too busy.

2/69 collisions is OK. Deferred just means that the line was
busy the *instant* the router tried to transmit and is normal.

"890 output errors" not otherwise accounted for?

Hmmmm! don't know what this is at all.

Check the buffers and CPU.

A 2500 is a REALLY old slow box. You don't say what you are doing
with it but it is designed to connect an ethernet to a wan link.
In a modern network with all of those windows boxes blasting out
broadcasts and stuff it could easily be overwhelmed.

The wires look OK.

News Account

Change your switch port from auto to force 10Mb/s and half duplex to match
the router.

Don Woodward

"NetworkElf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> A network of mine consists of a 2510 router (as a default gateway) and
> a 3550 Layer3 switch connecting hosts in two VLANs. Recently, we have
> been reported by the end users that they get slow respond from the
> Telnet session. In troubleshooting the problem, I have the following
> finding:
>
> Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up
> Hardware is Lance, address is 0000.0c07.ac01 (bia 0000.0c3a.8f76)
> Internet address is
> MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec, rely 255/255, load
> 13/255
> Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)
> ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
> Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:00, output hang never
> Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d23h
> Queueing strategy: fifo
> Output queue 0/40, 30 drops; input queue 1/75, 0 drops
> 5 minute input rate 561000 bits/sec, 139 packets/sec
> 5 minute output rate 511000 bits/sec, 102 packets/sec
> 7164216 packets input, 3036007075 bytes, 0 no buffer
> Received 283519 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
> 20 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 20 ignored, 0 abort
> 0 input packets with dribble condition detected
> 6953428 packets output, 3811114393 bytes, 4 underruns
> 890 output errors, 184316 collisions, 4 interface resets
> 0 babbles, 0 late collision, 265160 deferred
> 0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
> 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
>

> As we can see there are many output errors, collisions, deferred in
> outbound traffic. I would like to know is it normal to have such
> figures for a router running ethernet (10Mb/s and half duplex)
> directly connected to 3550 layer switch? If not, what is the problem
> to contribute these figures?
>
> Thank you in advanced!!
>
> Best Regards,
> Jeff

Hansang Bae

> > Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d23h
> > Output queue 0/40, 30 drops; input queue 1/75, 0 drops
> > 5 minute input rate 561000 bits/sec, 139 packets/sec
> > 5 minute output rate 511000 bits/sec, 102 packets/sec
> > 7164216 packets input, 3036007075 bytes, 0 no buffer
> > Received 283519 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
> > 20 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 20 ignored, 0 abort
> > 0 input packets with dribble condition detected
> > 6953428 packets output, 3811114393 bytes, 4 underruns
> > 890 output errors, 184316 collisions, 4 interface resets
> > 0 babbles, 0 late collision, 265160 deferred

890 errors in 2 days? That's too many.

--

hsb

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Hansang Bae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:890 errors in 2 days? That's too many.

After a recent [experimental] network reconfiguration, we are getting
over 50000 errors per day on one of the ethernet ports.

Unfortunately, our network monitoring software isn't even noticing --
it's doing something strange like taking the error packet count as a
percentage of the bandwidth and deciding the ratio is too low to
be important

I'm grumbling to the manufacturer of the network monitoring software!

(Unfortunately I have no solid clues yet as to why the high number
of errors. The error rate correlates with the length of the cable
runs, but the cable runs are all well within spec -- and they didn't
give errors when plugged into a different switch.)
--
Studies show that the average reader ignores 106% of all statistics
they see in .signatures.

Walter Roberson

In article <c96884$k3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
:After a recent [experimental] network reconfiguration, we are getting
ver 50000 errors per day on one of the ethernet ports.

I seem to have tracked this down. I had forced the ports to 100/Full
(which I knew to be what they were running at.) As soon as I changed
the ports to autonegotiate, they autonegotiated 100/Full (exactly
the same state) -- and the errors stopped.

I'm still somewhat puzzled by this, I do admit.
--
IMT made the sky
Fall.

AnyBody43

"News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Change your switch port from auto to force 10Mb/s and half duplex to match
> the router.

> "NetworkElf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> > Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up
> > Hardware is Lance, address is 0000.0c07.ac01 (bia 0000.0c3a.8f76)
> > Internet address is
> > MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec, rely 255/255, load
> > 13/255
> > Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)
> > ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
> > Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:00, output hang never
> > Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d23h
> > Queueing strategy: fifo
> > Output queue 0/40, 30 drops; input queue 1/75, 0 drops
> > 5 minute input rate 561000 bits/sec, 139 packets/sec
> > 5 minute output rate 511000 bits/sec, 102 packets/sec
> > 7164216 packets input, 3036007075 bytes, 0 no buffer
> > Received 283519 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
> > 20 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 20 ignored, 0 abort
> > 0 input packets with dribble condition detected
> > 6953428 packets output, 3811114393 bytes, 4 underruns
> > 890 output errors, 184316 collisions, 4 interface resets
> > 0 babbles, 0 late collision, 265160 deferred
> > 0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
> > 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Top poster wrote;
> Change your switch port from auto to force 10Mb/s and half duplex to match
> the router.

There is no evidence whatsoever of a duplex missmatch and even if
there was one it is clearly not affecting performance.
I can say that since there are no CRC errors, frame errors, or
late collisions. These are the only problems that a duplex missmatch
can cause.

If there was a speed missmatch the port would not come up at all.

Does anyone know where what errors could account for the missing
output errors.

The summary says: 890 output errors; Output queue 0/40, 30 drops;.

What are the other 860 output errors?

Hansang Bae

In article <c96j55$eu8$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)-
cnrc.gc.ca says...
> I seem to have tracked this down. I had forced the ports to 100/Full
> (which I knew to be what they were running at.) As soon as I changed
> the ports to autonegotiate, they autonegotiated 100/Full (exactly
> the same state) -- and the errors stopped.
> I'm still somewhat puzzled by this, I do admit.

Makes perfect sense. The server was set to auto. Your switch was hard
coded to 100/FD. Since it was hard coded, it never sent the link pulse
required for AN. Since the server did not see the AN pulse, it
defaulted to 100/HD!

When you set your port to AN, both saw the pulse and negotiated to
100/FD.

--

hsb

Tax Johnson

news:c96j55$eu8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <c96884$k3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
> :After a recent [experimental] network reconfiguration, we are getting
> ver 50000 errors per day on one of the ethernet ports.
>
> I seem to have tracked this down. I had forced the ports to 100/Full
> (which I knew to be what they were running at.) As soon as I changed
> the ports to autonegotiate, they autonegotiated 100/Full (exactly
> the same state) -- and the errors stopped.
>
> I'm still somewhat puzzled by this, I do admit.

If setting up your switchport to auto caused it to negotiate to 100/full --
that means the far-end is setup to auto-negotiate, right? But when you had
your switch-port hard-coded to 100/full, the far-end auto-negotiated to
100/half and your switchport probably noticed a boatload of input errors.