Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > os.system and flow control

os.system and flow control

Lad

In my program I use
os.popen2('notepad.exe IDPass.txt')
to open IDPass.txt file in Notepad window. Users can edit this file
but the problem is that if the program runs on Windows 98 , the
program does not wait for closing of Notepad window but continues
running with the next command after
os.popen2('notepad.exe IDPass.txt').
If the program runs on XP, the execution of my program is paused until
I close the notepad window.
How shall I force the WIndows 98 to pause the execution like WIndows
Xp ?
Thanks for help
Lad

Peter L Hansen

Lad wrote:
> In my program I use
> os.popen2('notepad.exe IDPass.txt')
> to open IDPass.txt file in Notepad window. Users can edit this file
> but the problem is that if the program runs on Windows 98 , the
> program does not wait for closing of Notepad window but continues
> running with the next command after
> os.popen2('notepad.exe IDPass.txt').
> If the program runs on XP, the execution of my program is paused until
> I close the notepad window.
> How shall I force the WIndows 98 to pause the execution like WIndows
> Xp ?

Odd, I recall this being asked recently. It wasn't you by
any chance, was it?

I believe the ultimate conclusion was that you should investigate
the START command with an option of /WAIT.

-Peter

Lad

Peter L Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Lad wrote:
> > In my program I use
> > os.popen2('notepad.exe IDPass.txt')
> > to open IDPass.txt file in Notepad window. Users can edit this file
> > but the problem is that if the program runs on Windows 98 , the
> > program does not wait for closing of Notepad window but continues
> > running with the next command after
> > os.popen2('notepad.exe IDPass.txt').
> > If the program runs on XP, the execution of my program is paused until
> > I close the notepad window.
> > How shall I force the WIndows 98 to pause the execution like WIndows
> > Xp ?

> Odd, I recall this being asked recently. It wasn't you by
> any chance, was it?
>
> I believe the ultimate conclusion was that you should investigate
> the START command with an option of /WAIT.

Yes, Peter
I already asked and you already tried to help but your solution did
not work. Can you please give me an example how to use START with
/WAIT option.
Thanks a lot
Lad

George Kinney

"Lad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I believe the ultimate conclusion was that you should investigate
> > the START command with an option of /WAIT.

> I already asked and you already tried to help but your solution did
> not work. Can you please give me an example how to use START with
> /WAIT option.

os.popen2('start /wait notepad.exe IDPass.txt') ???