Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Newbie. Python on PPC, please assist.

Python Newbie. Python on PPC, please assist.

pythonnewbie

Hi All. I'm just starting to learn programming using Python. I am new to
programming so please be patient with me!
I found this for Pocket PC:
http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Py...CPythonR2Notes
I tried installing it and for some reason it would not work. Having
installed it, clicking on the program gives the error "PocketPCPython.exe
or one of it's components cannot be found", even though I am directly
clicking on the exe, and even after much fiddling making sure all the files
are there.
I'm not a newbie as far as pda's go, so I'm a little confused as to why it's
not working.
What I really want to know though, is what it actually, does before I go
about spending time getting it working. I mean, is it a development
environment, like IDLE, or does it just install the Python libraries so you
can run Python programs on a PPC, or what? As I said, I am a complete
programming newbie so sorry if I'm talking rubbish.
I'd be really greatful if someone could tell me what the Python PPC program
is/does. Also if there are any other (better) programs for Python on PPC.
And if anyone has any ideas why the install didn't work on the PPC, I'd be
greatful for advice on that too.
Many thanks in advance.

Byron

Hi PN,

*From what I understand*, each type of pocket PC has a different CPU
chip built into it -- which means that you will have to find a compiled
version of python that is "compatible" with the CPU that your device has.

If the software isn't compiled for your device's CPU, it simply won't
work...

Hope this helps!

Byron
---

pythonnewbie wrote:
> Hi All. I'm just starting to learn programming using Python. I am new to
> programming so please be patient with me!
> I found this for Pocket PC:
> http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Py...CPythonR2Notes
> I tried installing it and for some reason it would not work. Having
> installed it, clicking on the program gives the error "PocketPCPython.exe
> or one of it's components cannot be found", even though I am directly
> clicking on the exe, and even after much fiddling making sure all the files
> are there.
> I'm not a newbie as far as pda's go, so I'm a little confused as to why it's
> not working.
> What I really want to know though, is what it actually, does before I go
> about spending time getting it working. I mean, is it a development
> environment, like IDLE, or does it just install the Python libraries so you
> can run Python programs on a PPC, or what? As I said, I am a complete
> programming newbie so sorry if I'm talking rubbish.
> I'd be really greatful if someone could tell me what the Python PPC program
> is/does. Also if there are any other (better) programs for Python on PPC.
> And if anyone has any ideas why the install didn't work on the PPC, I'd be
> greatful for advice on that too.
> Many thanks in advance.

Fuzzyman

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:11:50 +0100, "pythonnewbie" <.> wrote:

>Hi All. I'm just starting to learn programming using Python. I am new to
>programming so please be patient with me!
>I found this for Pocket PC:
>http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Py...CPythonR2Notes

There is a sourceforge project for the latest and greatest Python for
PPC release, I *think* the murkworks one is out of date.

There is also a PythonCE mailing list which will be much better suited
to helping you.

The otehr gentleman who replied is entirely correct - you must be sure
that he version you are using is compiled for your CPU type *and* for
your version of the operating system.

It is currently *only* a python interpreter withstdlib. IDLE has not
been successfully ported. Tk/Tkinter has been ported - but the Tk/Tcl
port is a 'work in progress'.

Python on PPC unfortunately doesn't have a working raw_input command
(because of limitation in the underlying C library) and the GUI
library (as I mentioned) is still flaky. The interpreter woorks fine
though and is great for experimenting on the move. Developing with it
is a pain !! (Although I do do it). There aren't many/any program
written with python for the PPC.

If you are a newbie then learn python on the desktop first.

Regards,

Fuzzy

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantib...thonutils.html

>I tried installing it and for some reason it would not work. Having
>installed it, clicking on the program gives the error "PocketPCPython.exe
>or one of it's components cannot be found", even though I am directly
>clicking on the exe, and even after much fiddling making sure all the files
>are there.
>I'm not a newbie as far as pda's go, so I'm a little confused as to why it's
>not working.
>What I really want to know though, is what it actually, does before I go
>about spending time getting it working. I mean, is it a development
>environment, like IDLE, or does it just install the Python libraries so you
>can run Python programs on a PPC, or what? As I said, I am a complete
>programming newbie so sorry if I'm talking rubbish.
>I'd be really greatful if someone could tell me what the Python PPC program
>is/does. Also if there are any other (better) programs for Python on PPC.
>And if anyone has any ideas why the install didn't work on the PPC, I'd be
>greatful for advice on that too.
>Many thanks in advance.

pythonnewbie

Many thanks for your help! I now have Python 2.3.4 installed and running on
the ppc You are correct I had to get the ARM release for my device, and
the murkworks one certainly seems to be out of date.
The pythonCE mailing list sounds great- any idea how i can join this?
You mentioned Tk/Tkinter and Tk/Tcl- are these two different development
enviroments?
I had heard about the raw_input limitation, and also heard that the solution
was to use a dialog box for text input.. I am yet to find out how to put in
a dialog box (there doesn't appear to be a function to get text input from a
dialog box...) being so new to all this...
You mentioned that the port had just the standard lib.. Is there any (easy)
way of adding extra libs? I wanted to add the easygame lib and I put it in
what I thought was the appropriate folder on the PPC, and it wouldn't
recognise it.... I put the .pyc easygame lib in, as well as the .py, as all
the files in the folder appeared to be complied ones (.pyc). Still no luck.
Many thanks again for all your help!
P.S. I am new to newsgroups too... I am using Outlook Express to post,
however the replies don't seem to show up in Outlook Express.. When I check
in Outlook Express, it says my original message has no replies, but when I
checked using Google groups, hey presto- there were your two replies! Any
ideas what I'm doing wrong?
"pythonnewbie" <.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All. I'm just starting to learn programming using Python. I am new to
> programming so please be patient with me!
> I found this for Pocket PC:
> http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Py...CPythonR2Notes
> I tried installing it and for some reason it would not work. Having
> installed it, clicking on the program gives the error "PocketPCPython.exe
> or one of it's components cannot be found", even though I am directly
> clicking on the exe, and even after much fiddling making sure all the

files
> are there.
> I'm not a newbie as far as pda's go, so I'm a little confused as to why

it's
> not working.
> What I really want to know though, is what it actually, does before I go
> about spending time getting it working. I mean, is it a development
> environment, like IDLE, or does it just install the Python libraries so

you
> can run Python programs on a PPC, or what? As I said, I am a complete
> programming newbie so sorry if I'm talking rubbish.
> I'd be really greatful if someone could tell me what the Python PPC

program
> is/does. Also if there are any other (better) programs for Python on PPC.
> And if anyone has any ideas why the install didn't work on the PPC, I'd be
> greatful for advice on that too.
> Many thanks in advance.

Michael Foord

"pythonnewbie" <.> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Many thanks for your help! I now have Python 2.3.4 installed and running on
> the ppc You are correct I had to get the ARM release for my device, and
> the murkworks one certainly seems to be out of date.

Sourceforge is the right place to get releases.

> The pythonCE mailing list sounds great- any idea how i can join this?

Sorry - I was just being lazy, I should have listed this before.

> You mentioned Tk/Tkinter and Tk/Tcl- are these two different development
> enviroments?

No, they are the same. Tk is the graphics library itself and Tcl is
the language that it works 'with'. Tkinter is the python library that
is a bridge to the Tk library. The latest version of python for PPC
comes with a good version of Tkinter, but you will still need to get
the PPC port of Tk/Tcl.

> I had heard about the raw_input limitation, and also heard that the solution
> was to use a dialog box for text input.. I am yet to find out how to put in
> a dialog box (there doesn't appear to be a function to get text input from a
> dialog box...) being so new to all this...

I would recommend playing with Tk on a desktop machine for a bit. It's
not *very* difficult, but there is a learning curve.

> You mentioned that the port had just the standard lib.. Is there any (easy)

*Just* the standard lib, thats pretty damn good.

> way of adding extra libs? I wanted to add the easygame lib and I put it in
> what I thought was the appropriate folder on the PPC, and it wouldn't

Any pure python library should 'just work'.

> recognise it.... I put the .pyc easygame lib in, as well as the .py, as all
> the files in the folder appeared to be complied ones (.pyc). Still no luck.
> Many thanks again for all your help!

If you ask this question again on the pythonCE mailing list we'll work
it out.

Regards,

Fuzzy

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantib...thonutils.html

> P.S. I am new to newsgroups too... I am using Outlook Express to post,
> however the replies don't seem to show up in Outlook Express.. When I check
> in Outlook Express, it says my original message has no replies, but when I
> checked using Google groups, hey presto- there were your two replies! Any
> ideas what I'm doing wrong?
> "pythonnewbie" <.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All. I'm just starting to learn programming using Python. I am new to
> > programming so please be patient with me!
> > I found this for Pocket PC:
> > http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Py...CPythonR2Notes
> > I tried installing it and for some reason it would not work. Having
> > installed it, clicking on the program gives the error "PocketPCPython.exe
> > or one of it's components cannot be found", even though I am directly
> > clicking on the exe, and even after much fiddling making sure all the

> files
> > are there.
> > I'm not a newbie as far as pda's go, so I'm a little confused as to why

> it's
> > not working.
> > What I really want to know though, is what it actually, does before I go
> > about spending time getting it working. I mean, is it a development
> > environment, like IDLE, or does it just install the Python libraries so

> you
> > can run Python programs on a PPC, or what? As I said, I am a complete
> > programming newbie so sorry if I'm talking rubbish.
> > I'd be really greatful if someone could tell me what the Python PPC

> program
> > is/does. Also if there are any other (better) programs for Python on PPC.
> > And if anyone has any ideas why the install didn't work on the PPC, I'd be
> > greatful for advice on that too.
> > Many thanks in advance.

pythonnewbie

Thanks for the reply. I have been playing with Python etc on the desktop,
but it's useful on the PPC for trying things out while travelling. I can
learn on the bus etc then.!
I will certainly join the mailing list, and it'd be great if we could sort
out the problem there.
I won't be able to for about a week though, but I look forward to sorting it
out then.
Many thanks again!