Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > 2.3.4 windows installer

2.3.4 windows installer

Brad Tilley

Is there an easy way to make the windows installer default to c:\Program
Files\Python23 instead of c:\Python23? I know that the path can be
changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
dozens/hundreds of machines.

Python stands out like a sore thumb when installed into the root
directory and users who aren't familiar with it think it's Spyware or
Malware of some sort and tend to try and delete the folder. We runs a
script that removes it from Add/Remove Programs and the Start Menu's
'Programs' folder, but we'd like to not have the installer default to
the root dir... any suggestions???

Wolfgang Langner

Hello,

Brad Tilley wrote:
> Is there an easy way to make the windows installer default to c:\Program
> Files\Python23 instead of c:\Python23? I know that the path can be
> changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
> dozens/hundreds of machines.

In version 2.4 there is a msi installer. It is possible to use a command line
switch that points to a new install dir.
Wrap this in a batch or something else and you are done.

I don't know if it's possible to supply the installer of version 2.3 with
a command line switch.

bye by Wolfgang

R.Marquez

Brad Tilley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
> dozens/hundreds of machines.

When you have "dozens/hundreds of machines" in Windows you will be
better off having some kind of Application deployment mechanism such
as SMS (not that I am promoting that particular one). Those tools
will allow you to create a wrapper installation package whith which
you can automate the way the original setup program is run. You can
then push this installation packages at will or simply allow the users
to pull them in as desired.

vincent wehren

Brad Tilley wrote:
> Is there an easy way to make the windows installer default to c:\Program
> Files\Python23 instead of c:\Python23? I know that the path can be
> changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
> dozens/hundreds of machines.

Isn't a shared network installation an option worth considering in such
a setting?

--
Vincent Wehren

R.Marquez wrote:
> Brad Tilley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
>>dozens/hundreds of machines.

> When you have "dozens/hundreds of machines" in Windows you will be
> better off having some kind of Application deployment mechanism such
> as SMS (not that I am promoting that particular one). Those tools
> will allow you to create a wrapper installation package whith which
> you can automate the way the original setup program is run. You can
> then push this installation packages at will or simply allow the users
> to pull them in as desired.

It's not as simple as that for me... we're informal with many types of
HW and most machines are geographically distributed and administered by
the users... we only touch machines when they initially arrive and we
only see users when a problem arises and they come in...We try to
develop generic OS installations and Python sys-admin tools that work
for every machine in every location and situation.

thanks for the suggestion.