Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Gender Changing a X21 DCE cable (go from female to male)

Gender Changing a X21 DCE cable (go from female to male)

Greg Krzeszkowski

Hi,

would there be any disastrous effect if I converted a X21 DCE cable
(female DB15) to male DB15? I realise I should buy a DTE cable, but
I'm interested to see if I can do without it.

Thanks

Greg

Phillip Remaker

"Greg Krzeszkowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> would there be any disastrous effect if I converted a X21 DCE cable
> (female DB15) to male DB15?

As long as the Cisco will still act as a DCE, there should be no problem.

Steve Schefter

Hi Greg.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Greg Krzeszkowski) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> would there be any disastrous effect if I converted a X21 DCE cable
> (female DB15) to male DB15? I realise I should buy a DTE cable, but
> I'm interested to see if I can do without it.

If what you want is a DCE with a male connector (unusual) then you
can do this. But that's not the same as a DTE cable. More than
just the gender is different between a DTE and DCE. For example,
the DTE transmits on pins 2/9 while a DCE sends its data out on pins
4/11.

If you are going to be connecting two DCEs together, you have to
cross over TxData/RxData and control/indication. A null modem
(usually used to connect two DTEs) should work if you change the
gender on it. Normally a null modem wouldn't be any good between
DCEs, but the clocking scheme is a little different on X.21 (than
on V.35 or RS-232, for example).

You can find null modem specs on our website (www.wanware.com) in
the support section.

Steve

Steve Schefter phone: +1 705 725 9999 x26
The Software Group Limited fax: +1 705 725 9666
642 Welham Road,
Barrie, Ontario CANADA L4N 9A1 Web: www.wanware.com