Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Database Connectivity

Re: Database Connectivity

Aaron Bingham

Sandeep Avinash Gohad wrote:

>Hi
>
>I want to develope a simple Database connectivity program with python.
>I want to use MS Access as a backend.
>Please guide me....
>If any e-books,links available particularly for database connectivity
>then please let me know
>
>Regards
>Sandeep

First, consider if you really want to use MS Access for this. In my
experience, this is mostly asking for trouble as Access is poorly
documented and has many bugs and misfeatures you will waste your time
working around. In addition, Access DBs are prone to corruption if
accessed by many users at once. PostgreSQL is a much more powerful
alternative, and version 8.0, coming soon, will run natively on
Windows. Of course, it is not as "user friendly" in the sense of having
pretty GUI tools, but since it sounds like you will be writing the GUI
in Python anyway, this may not matter.

If you are going to use Access, Python Programming on Win32 by Mark
Hammond and Andy Robinson is an essential reference.

Aaron

Larry Bates

Aaron Bingham wrote:
> Sandeep Avinash Gohad wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I want to develope a simple Database connectivity program with python.
>> I want to use MS Access as a backend.
>> Please guide me....
>> If any e-books,links available particularly for database connectivity
>> then please let me know
>>
>> Regards
>> Sandeep
>>

> First, consider if you really want to use MS Access for this. In my
> experience, this is mostly asking for trouble as Access is poorly
> documented and has many bugs and misfeatures you will waste your time
> working around. In addition, Access DBs are prone to corruption if
> accessed by many users at once. PostgreSQL is a much more powerful
> alternative, and version 8.0, coming soon, will run natively on
> Windows. Of course, it is not as "user friendly" in the sense of having
> pretty GUI tools, but since it sounds like you will be writing the GUI
> in Python anyway, this may not matter.
>
> If you are going to use Access, Python Programming on Win32 by Mark
> Hammond and Andy Robinson is an essential reference.
>
> Aaron

I wrote and contributed a DAO interface class that I've used to
read/write data from/to Access databases located here:

Larry Bates

Graeme Matthew

I would recommend using firebird RDBMS on windows not access, youre heading
for trouble

to make firebird adoption easier use a gui from IBPHOENIX.com

Hope this helps

"Aaron Bingham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sandeep Avinash Gohad wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>>I want to develope a simple Database connectivity program with python.
>>I want to use MS Access as a backend.
>>Please guide me....
>>If any e-books,links available particularly for database connectivity
>>then please let me know
>>
>>Regards
>>Sandeep
>>

> First, consider if you really want to use MS Access for this. In my
> experience, this is mostly asking for trouble as Access is poorly
> documented and has many bugs and misfeatures you will waste your time
> working around. In addition, Access DBs are prone to corruption if
> accessed by many users at once. PostgreSQL is a much more powerful
> alternative, and version 8.0, coming soon, will run natively on Windows.
> Of course, it is not as "user friendly" in the sense of having pretty GUI
> tools, but since it sounds like you will be writing the GUI in Python
> anyway, this may not matter.
>
> If you are going to use Access, Python Programming on Win32 by Mark
> Hammond and Andy Robinson is an essential reference.
>
> Aaron

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:06:18 +0200, Aaron Bingham
comp.lang.python:

Pardon the nesting -- I missed the original, and it seems
unavailable via my client...

> Sandeep Avinash Gohad wrote:
> >I want to develope a simple Database connectivity program with python.
> >I want to use MS Access as a backend.

Access, itself, is merely a GUI builder front-end. You are
likely using M$ JET as the database engine.

> accessed by many users at once. PostgreSQL is a much more powerful
> alternative, and version 8.0, coming soon, will run natively on
> Windows. Of course, it is not as "user friendly" in the sense of having
> pretty GUI tools, but since it sounds like you will be writing the GUI
> in Python anyway, this may not matter.

Other options: If one doesn't need full capabilities (just data
tables and selects), MySQL... The former SAP-DB, now packaged as "MaxDB
by MySQL"... An off-shoot of Interbase 6, Firebird.

> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <

Gerhard Haering

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:48:40AM +0000, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> [somebody wants to base a Python application on JET]
>
> Other options: If one doesn't need full capabilities (just data tables and
> selects), MySQL... The former SAP-DB, now packaged as "MaxDB by MySQL"... An
> off-shoot of Interbase 6, Firebird.

Or just PySQLite, then you won't need to install any servers, and have an
almost equally powerful SQL engine. Well, more powerful than MySQL IMO, but
that's not hard

-- Gerhard

Alex Martelli

Dennis Lee Bieber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >I want to develope a simple Database connectivity program with python.
> > >I want to use MS Access as a backend.

> Access, itself, is merely a GUI builder front-end. You are
> likely using M$ JET as the database engine.

Amen! People keep making this mistake over and over and over again.
Access is a product Microsoft sells; Jet is one they give away for free;
etc, etc -- how CAN it be so hard to distinguish?!

> > accessed by many users at once. PostgreSQL is a much more powerful
> > alternative, and version 8.0, coming soon, will run natively on
> > Windows. Of course, it is not as "user friendly" in the sense of having
> > pretty GUI tools, but since it sounds like you will be writing the GUI
> > in Python anyway, this may not matter.

> Other options: If one doesn't need full capabilities (just data
> tables and selects), MySQL... The former SAP-DB, now packaged as "MaxDB
> by MySQL"... An off-shoot of Interbase 6, Firebird.

....and if one MUST use a Microsoft engine (in some workplaces that's a
political necessity, disgusting as it may be), *at least* use MSDE, the
"Microsoft Data Engine" -- freely downloadable and redistributable
version (without GUI chrome) of the MS SQL Server small edition
(designed for no more than 5 connections at a time -- still better than
Jet, designed [if that's the word] for no more than _1_, ideally 0.
[[I believe you need a license of MS VStudio, Office, or other such
products, to enjoy the free license to MSDE legally -- check the details
out on Microsoft's site]]. MSDE may not be anywhere as good as the
others you're listing, but it sure beats Jet hands down!

Alex

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:48:40 GMT, Dennis Lee Bieber
<(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

Talking to myself... <G>

> Access, itself, is merely a GUI builder front-end. You are
> likely using M$ JET as the database engine.

"Likely" as the newer Access versions (Office2000+) can be used
as a front-end for M$ SQL Server/MSDE (I can't recall if MSDE was
supplied with O2000 Premium, it was with VB6 Pro).

(MSDE being sort of a single-user SQL Server development engine --
limited to ~2GB per database, like JET is, and to only 5 concurrent
queries)

> (E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <

David Bolen

Dennis Lee Bieber <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:48:40 GMT, Dennis Lee Bieber
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>
> Talking to myself... <G>
> >
> > Access, itself, is merely a GUI builder front-end. You are
> > likely using M$ JET as the database engine.
> >

> "Likely" as the newer Access versions (Office2000+) can be used
> as a front-end for M$ SQL Server/MSDE (I can't recall if MSDE was
> supplied with O2000 Premium, it was with VB6 Pro).
>
> (MSDE being sort of a single-user SQL Server development engine --
> limited to ~2GB per database, like JET is, and to only 5 concurrent
> queries)

If I recall correctly, it's not actually limited to 5 concurrent
connections, but there is a performance limiter that kicks in after
that point to slow it down

But it has something to do with active requests, so I believe you
could have any number of connections, and probably not hit performance
issues unless more than 5 of them were actively trying to do something
at the same time.

-- David

Dennis Lee Bieber

On 06 Oct 2004 13:39:15 -0400, David Bolen <(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed
the following in comp.lang.python:

> Dennis Lee Bieber <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

> > limited to ~2GB per database, like JET is, and to only 5 concurrent
> > queries)

> If I recall correctly, it's not actually limited to 5 concurrent
> connections, but there is a performance limiter that kicks in after
> that point to slow it down

I did say "queries", not "connections"... <G>

> (E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <

Dennis Lee Bieber

On 06 Oct 2004 13:39:15 -0400, David Bolen <(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed
the following in comp.lang.python:

Pardon the repeat... Addendum comment at bottom...

> Dennis Lee Bieber <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

> > limited to ~2GB per database, like JET is, and to only 5 concurrent
> > queries)

> If I recall correctly, it's not actually limited to 5 concurrent
> connections, but there is a performance limiter that kicks in after
> that point to slow it down

I did say "queries", not "connections"... <G>

Just hit M$ download page... Looks like they may have changed
the limitations between the old MSDE that came with my VB6-Pro package
and the current one. The download info describes it as 25 connections.

Now if M$ could just get their name straight... Even they seem
unsure of what MSDE is short for: I've seen both short "Microsoft (SQL)
Data Engine" and "Microsoft SQL-server Desktop Edition"