Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Global Interpreter Lock

Global Interpreter Lock

Tomas Christiansen

Excaclty HOW global is the global interpreter lock?

I know that it isn't global in the meaning "the hole world" (imagine that!),
but is it global only to each task/job/python interpreter instance (running
one or more threads) or is it global to the user or the computer or...?

In other words, what is the impact of the global interpreter lock if...
1. If user A has two different python programs running?
2. If user A is running a python program and user B is running one as well?
3. Does the OS (Linux or Windows) make a difference to the impact of the
global interpreter lock?

-------
Tomas

Skip Montanaro

Tomas> Excaclty HOW global is the global interpreter lock?

Per-process.

Skip

Tomas Christiansen

Skip Montanaro wrote
> Tomas> Excaclty HOW global is the global interpreter lock?
>
> Per-process.

So ONLY (multiple) threads are affected by the global interpreter lock?

-------
Tomas

Michael Hoffman

Tomas Christiansen wrote:

> So ONLY (multiple) threads are affected by the global interpreter lock?

As opposed to any of the other scenarios proposed, yes.
--
Michael Hoffman