Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [OT] "Pre-announcement" of Python-based "computing appliance" project.

[OT] "Pre-announcement" of Python-based "computing appliance" project.

Alex Martelli

Jack Diederich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hmm, you could go with Daleth, the Hewbrew letter that means Door.

Great suggestion. While daleth.org and daleth.com are taken, daleth.net
is free, too.

> A glance at the first google page shows no software with that moniker.
> As a logo it isn't terribly sexy, but you could work on it (the current

?! It means (inter alia) Tarot Trump III, The Empress (Venus, Earth
Mother, Demeter -- fertility, bounty, creativity -- Daughter of the
Mighty Ones) -- there are renderings galore, and while of course many
are quite chaste, finding sexy ones is the least of your problems!-)

> ps, to any whackadoodles: no neocon conspiracy here, it just happens that
> when I was young my parents sent me to a place called "a school"

Heh, I may be out of the current US cultural picture, I guess, but I
wouldn't particularly connect tarot and kabbalah to neocons...

Alex

Mike Meyer

Carlos Ribeiro <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I heed you to check Microsoft's documents on "how Longhorn will be
> great"

Another thing to check out is <URL:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/humane/ >, an implementation of the
interface described in Jeff Raskin's "The Humane Interface". No
folder, no files, simplified everything.

<mike

Peter Hansen

Richard Hanson wrote:
> As I just replied to David Lees -- I didn't signal adequately that I
> was not soliciting names for the project at this juncture, but was
> merely attempting some levity. I *should* have realized from the
> recent "naming threads" what might happen... -- my bad! :-p

No worries, Richard. You *did* signal that quite adequately.
This, however, is comp.lang.python and clear signals never
stopped anyone. <wink> You could say "Please do *not* offer
any more name suggestions", and then sit back and peruse the
many interesting (?) ideas that are offered anyway.

-i'm-partial-to-FerretFace(tm)-ly y'rs,
Peter

Istvan Albert

My opinion on this matter is that this project has
no chance of succeeding in any palpable way. It will
always remain at this semi-conscious level of making
some generic statements that may make feel one better
but have no actual relevance to the way things work.

The Beach Boys have already properly captured
this design in their song titled "Wouldn't It Be Nice":

"Wouldn't it be nice if we were older
Then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together
In the kind of world where we belong"

And here is how to wake up from your dream. Pick a simple task,
design a program that does it and make it as simple
as you can. Then grab a few people off the street,
take them to a room, ask them to perform the task,
leave the room, then watch them try to accomplish
that task. The lessons you learn in a few hours
will last you a lifetime. You'll then understand
why this "generic computing appliance" serving the
"needs of a typical user" makes no sense whatsoever.

Istvan.

Carlos Ribeiro

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:53:16 -0700, Richard Hanson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (I've already thought of Doors... -- doors are more useful than
> windows, aren't they? )

"Traps" are even more useful sometimes

(...running for cover..)

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos

Carlos Ribeiro

My candidate for QOTW:

"You *did* signal that quite adequately. This, however, is
comp.lang.python and clear signals never stopped anyone. <wink>"

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
blog: http://pythonnotes.blogspot.com
mail: (E-Mail Removed)
mail: (E-Mail Removed)

Jeff Shannon

Alex Martelli wrote:

>>ps, to any whackadoodles: no neocon conspiracy here, it just happens that
>>when I was young my parents sent me to a place called "a school"
>>

>Heh, I may be out of the current US cultural picture, I guess, but I
>wouldn't particularly connect tarot and kabbalah to neocons...

Ah, but there's plenty of thought about neocon ties to Israel (and the
hard-line Zionist movement(s) there, in particular) and related
(rumored) connections to extreme Millenial religious groups who'd be
happy to see the arrival of Armageddon (and thus the Second Coming)...
Mind you, I think that anyone who'd seriously connect the use of a
Hebrew word to any of this *would* necessarily be a bit whackadoodle,
but I've seen conspiracy theories supported by slimmer threads...

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

Richard Hanson

[A heads up: Moderate length post; little added value by me. ]

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Jack Diederich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hmm, you could go with Daleth, the Hewbrew letter that means Door.

> Great suggestion. While daleth.org and daleth.com are taken, daleth.net
> is free, too.
>
> > A glance at the first google page shows no software with that moniker.
> > As a logo it isn't terribly sexy, but you could work on it (the current

> ?! It means (inter alia) Tarot Trump III, The Empress (Venus, Earth
> Mother, Demeter -- fertility, bounty, creativity -- Daughter of the
> Mighty Ones) -- there are renderings galore, and while of course many
> are quite chaste, finding sexy ones is the least of your problems!-)

Alex's comments on the sexiness of "Daleth" noted with humor.

Once again, I am impressed by the incredible store of general as well
as specific knowledge available even in such a specific group as
c.l.py. I'm a generalist, and much appreciate the opportunities to
broaden my education through edification such as the above.

> > ps, to any whackadoodles: no neocon conspiracy here, it just happens that
> > when I was young my parents sent me to a place called "a school"

> Heh, I may be out of the current US cultural picture, I guess, but I
> wouldn't particularly connect tarot and kabbalah to neocons...

I didn't comment on Jack's PS, originally. I'm aware of the 'Merkin
cultural picture, but studies of philosophy over the years along with
general observations of, and introspections into, the human condition,
have rendered me quite apolitical. I *did* get Jack's reference and
took it in what I think was the spirit intended -- facts, not
political agendas, given with humor.

Thanks for the comments to both of you!

apolitically-and-agendaless'ly y'rs,
Richard Hanson

--
sick<PERI0D>old<P0INT>fart<PIE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy<MARK>com

Richard Hanson

[A heads up: short post -- also, having connection problems. :-/ ]

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Carlos Ribeiro <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > I heed you to check Microsoft's documents on "how Longhorn will be
> > great"

> Another thing to check out is <URL:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/humane/ >, an implementation of the
> interface described in Jeff Raskin's "The Humane Interface". No
> folder, no files, simplified everything.

Thanks for that link, Mike!

I've now DL'ed the small file, and am in the process of re-DL'ing
wxPython (computer crashes and slow connections 'R' me ) which
Jeff's work appears to depend on.

Jeff Raskin is someone I have lots of respect for. I'm quite curious
to see what he's got going, here.

Hmm... Perhaps, there *are* quite similar projects to the one I
posited, already extant. Good thing I *did* post here -- there's a
wealth of info and links to such available here in c.l.py. I may be
able to just add input to existing projects.

Thanks, again!

off-to-finish-that-DL'ly y'rs,
Richard Hanson

--
sick<PERI0D>old<P0INT>fart<PIE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy<MARK>com

Richard Hanson

[A heads up: This is mostly a shorter, "chatty"-type post. ]

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Richard Hanson wrote:
> > As I just replied to David Lees -- I didn't signal adequately that I
> > was not soliciting names for the project at this juncture, but was
> > merely attempting some levity. I *should* have realized from the
> > recent "naming threads" what might happen... -- my bad! :-p

> No worries, Richard. You *did* signal that quite adequately.

Oh, good -- I was wondering if my sense of humor was tending towards
infinitely incomprehensible.

> This, however, is comp.lang.python and clear signals never
> stopped anyone. <wink>

I've noticed that.

> You could say "Please do *not* offer
> any more name suggestions", and then sit back and peruse the
> many interesting (?) ideas that are offered anyway.

Heh. You understand human psychology well, too, I see.

By the way, I *have* appreciated all the replies -- after all, I'm a
new poster waltzing in and plopping down with what could seem like
some "non-tobacco"-fueled pipe dream.

> -i'm-partial-to-FerretFace(tm)-ly y'rs,

Now *that* is my kind of name. (I won't steal it, of course.)

Thanks for the reply, Peter!

onward-and-upwardly y'rs
Richard Hanson

--
sick<PERI0D>old<P0INT>fart<PIE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy<MARK>com