Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > can CISCO router connect computers?!

can CISCO router connect computers?!

esara

Hi
I am very confused about CISCO router. I have a CISCO 1600 router and
what I see in the back of the router the following ports/outputs:

10baseT, Ethernet0, AUI, serial0, console, flashPC card, 14v VDC

Why I am confused! becuase lets say we have 4 computers, how can I
connect them using CISCO router. I have linkSys router and it has WAN,
LAN, and 4 RJ45 ports, so I can use linkSys router to coonect these
computer but not the CISCO!! Am I right.. I think I need something
else beside the CISCO router! what is it?? I do not know

Thanks a lot.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
esara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I am very confused about CISCO router. I have a CISCO 1600 router and
:what I see in the back of the router the following ports/outputs:

:10baseT, Ethernet0, AUI, serial0, console, flashPC card, 14v VDC

:Why I am confused! becuase lets say we have 4 computers, how can I
:connect them using CISCO router. I have linkSys router and it has WAN,
:LAN, and 4 RJ45 ports, so I can use linkSys router to coonect these
:computer but not the CISCO!! Am I right.. I think I need something
:else beside the CISCO router! what is it?? I do not know

The Linksys router has a built-in four-port switch. It combines
two devices into one: router and switch. Your 1600 is *just* a router.
Your 1600 is configured for *just* connecting a local network
to a remote network. If the four computers you want to configure
are all part of your local network, then what you need to add is
a switch (or hub, but that's not as good). If the four computers
are all in the same IP subnet, then to get them to talk together,
you do not need a router at all. You would use a router to connect
together networks with -different- IP subnets.
-- Rich Kulawiec

ec

news:c8ioa8$1p7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> esara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :I am very confused about CISCO router. I have a CISCO 1600 router and
> :what I see in the back of the router the following ports/outputs:
>
> :10baseT, Ethernet0, AUI, serial0, console, flashPC card, 14v VDC
>
> :Why I am confused! becuase lets say we have 4 computers, how can I
> :connect them using CISCO router. I have linkSys router and it has WAN,
> :LAN, and 4 RJ45 ports, so I can use linkSys router to coonect these
> :computer but not the CISCO!! Am I right.. I think I need something
> :else beside the CISCO router! what is it?? I do not know
>
> The Linksys router has a built-in four-port switch. It combines
> two devices into one: router and switch. Your 1600 is *just* a router.
> Your 1600 is configured for *just* connecting a local network
> to a remote network. If the four computers you want to configure
> are all part of your local network, then what you need to add is
> a switch (or hub, but that's not as good). If the four computers
> are all in the same IP subnet, then to get them to talk together,
> you do not need a router at all. You would use a router to connect
> together networks with -different- IP subnets.
> --
> Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
> -- Rich Kulawiec

Lets not forget that the 1600 is a real router too