Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > gui - wait for dialog to close

gui - wait for dialog to close

Ajay

hi!

i have an application which requires a username
what i am trying to do is when the application runs, a dialog window
appears which prompts the user for his name. once thats entered, the
dialog box is destroyed, the username stored and the application gui is
drawn

i tried doing this by adding a wait_window call in my application GUI's
init.
the idea was to suspend execution till the username is entered and the
dialog box destroyed before continuing.

that didn't work
how can i do this? i have the option of creating the dialog box and when
the username is entered then in the function that handles the username,
create the rest of the GUI. i was wondering if there is any other way

thanks

cheers

John Fabiani

Ajay wrote:

> hi!
>
> i have an application which requires a username
> what i am trying to do is when the application runs, a dialog window
> appears which prompts the user for his name. once thats entered, the
> dialog box is destroyed, the username stored and the application gui is
> drawn
>
> i tried doing this by adding a wait_window call in my application GUI's
> init.
> the idea was to suspend execution till the username is entered and the
> dialog box destroyed before continuing.
>
> that didn't work
> how can i do this? i have the option of creating the dialog box and when
> the username is entered then in the function that handles the username,
> create the rest of the GUI. i was wondering if there is any other way
>
> thanks
>
> cheers

You did not state which GUI lib you are using. But in general you use a
modal dialog for that type of input. Before you delete the dialog read the
fields in the dialog.

John

Ajay

i am using Tkinter
could you expand on that modal stuff

cheers

Quoting John Fabiani <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Ajay wrote:
>
> > hi!
> >
> > i have an application which requires a username
> > what i am trying to do is when the application runs, a dialog window
> > appears which prompts the user for his name. once thats entered, the
> > dialog box is destroyed, the username stored and the application gui

> is
> > drawn
> >
> > i tried doing this by adding a wait_window call in my application

> GUI's
> > init.
> > the idea was to suspend execution till the username is entered and the
> > dialog box destroyed before continuing.
> >
> > that didn't work
> > how can i do this? i have the option of creating the dialog box and

> when
> > the username is entered then in the function that handles the

> username,
> > create the rest of the GUI. i was wondering if there is any other way
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > cheers

> You did not state which GUI lib you are using. But in general you use a
> modal dialog for that type of input. Before you delete the dialog read
> the
> fields in the dialog.
>
> John

Jorge Godoy

Ajay <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> hi!
>
> i have an application which requires a username
> what i am trying to do is when the application runs, a dialog window
> appears which prompts the user for his name. once thats entered, the
> dialog box is destroyed, the username stored and the application gui is
> drawn
>
> i tried doing this by adding a wait_window call in my application GUI's
> init.
> the idea was to suspend execution till the username is entered and the
> dialog box destroyed before continuing.
>
> that didn't work
> how can i do this? i have the option of creating the dialog box and when
> the username is entered then in the function that handles the username,
> create the rest of the GUI. i was wondering if there is any other way

Which of the several toolkits are you using? In wxPython you can use
one of the provided dialogs or create a new modal dialog...

--
Godoy. <(E-Mail Removed)>

Ajay

hi!