Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > How to go about developing in zope

How to go about developing in zope

john

Hi
I am developing a timesheet system.
It will have 3 levels of access
1)Administrator
2)Approver -- Will approve or reject the timesheet filled by employees
3)Employees -- Fill in the timesheet which will ontain info like start
time & end for task & task description.
There will be different projects with different employees & approvers
Also I need to genrate reports like timesheet for an employee for this
particular week or month.Or timesheet of a project etc..

Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
I read the zope book & now I am more confused.
What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

Istvan Albert

john wrote:

> Is zope suitable for such kind of application?

yes.

> What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

Start with a simple site then keep reimplementing with the new
techniques that you learn.

Istvan.

Peter Isselstijn

john:
>What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

I've found it helpful to forget about Zope, just design an object oriŽnted
solution for the problem, ignoring persistence for the time being (no
object-relational mapping), map clean URLs to objects and methods, use
plain HTML as templates, and so on. Then, when you're done, you'll have a
perfect Zope application.

--
Peter

john

Istvan Albert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> john wrote:
>
> > Is zope suitable for such kind of application?

> yes.
>
> > What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

> Start with a simple site then keep reimplementing with the new
> techniques that you learn.
>
> Istvan.

I dont know how zope will simplify my work in developing such an application??

Thomas Guettler

Am Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:54:16 -0700 schrieb john:

> Hi
> I am developing a timesheet system.
> It will have 3 levels of access
> 1)Administrator
> 2)Approver -- Will approve or reject the timesheet filled by employees
> 3)Employees -- Fill in the timesheet which will ontain info like start
> time & end for task & task description.
> There will be different projects with different employees & approvers
> Also I need to genrate reports like timesheet for an employee for this
> particular week or month.Or timesheet of a project etc..
>
> Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
> I read the zope book & now I am more confused.

Hi,

You can use ZODB without Zope, too.

I use quixote and ZODB with some small parts from
dulcinea (method start_request). I switched to this
after using zope for more than one year.

This is much simpler to debug than Zope.

HTH,
Thomas

Josef Meile

Hi John,

> I am developing a timesheet system.
> It will have 3 levels of access
> 1)Administrator
> 2)Approver -- Will approve or reject the timesheet filled by employees
> 3)Employees -- Fill in the timesheet which will ontain info like start
> time & end for task & task description.
> There will be different projects with different employees & approvers
> Also I need to genrate reports like timesheet for an employee for this
> particular week or month.Or timesheet of a project etc..
>
> Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
> I read the zope book & now I am more confused.
> What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

By coincidence, I was looking at the source code of a product related to
your requirements:
http://www.zope.org/Members/runyaga/ZTimesheet

This is a clone, which I haven't looked at:
http://zope.org/Members/Nielssteenkr...s/ZTIMEPROJECT

You could look also at the source code of my JMBoring product. It may
help you developing your zope python based product:
http://zope.org/Members/jmeile/JMBoring

Some useful links, which I think are the guidelines you must read before
developing your python product:

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Bo...ent/index_html
http://www.zope.org/Members/gtk/Boring/HowTo-Boring
http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/minimal_01/
http://www.zope.org/Members/Zen/howto/ZPT_management

Some of them are old, but still apply to the current zope version.

I think the best way to develop such product is by using an external
database to store the data (for the zope interaction, you can use an
existent Zope Database Adapter - See the zope book for more info), doing
the interfaces with ZPT (Zope's Page Templates -> Don't use DTML), and
coding the logic on a python based product (forget about ZClasses)

Regards,
Josef

PS: Please in the future post your zope related questions to:

See info for subscription on:

Istvan Albert

john wrote:

> I dont know how zope will simplify my work in developing such an application??

There is no easy answer to this. In fact it could happen that
Zope will complicate your work. The best way to evaluate a
framework is to try to implement a simple site. Do the tutorials,
fool around just for the sake of it. Don't try to accomplish
your goals right away because your first job will suck in
any new framework.

Istvan.

john

Peter Isselstijn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> john:
> >What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?

> I've found it helpful to forget about Zope, just design an object oriŽnted
> solution for the problem, ignoring persistence for the time being (no
> object-relational mapping), map clean URLs to objects and methods, use
> plain HTML as templates, and so on. Then, when you're done, you'll have a
> perfect Zope application.

Are there any tutorial on buliding a data driven(i.e database ) website with zope??

john

Josef Meile <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> I think the best way to develop such product is by using an external
> database to store the data (for the zope interaction, you can use an
> existent Zope Database Adapter - See the zope book for more info), doing
> the interfaces with ZPT (Zope's Page Templates -> Don't use DTML), and
> coding the logic on a python based product (forget about ZClasses)

But doing it this way is same as doing in php or any
other framework like cherrypy .How does zope help me?
From my understanding I think in zope we have to
develop Zclasses for objects not already available
which in this application can be timesheet etc.... Am
I right?? Also how zope helps me to implement different kind of access
level for users(admin,apprver,employee)or I have to resort to plain
old relational database for it too??

Miklůs

"john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> develop Zclasses for objects not already available
> which in this application can be timesheet etc.... Am
> I right?? Also how zope helps me to implement different kind of access
> level for users(admin,apprver,employee)or I have to resort to plain
> old relational database for it too??

I think Zope is pretty nice to develop this kind of application without
using an RDBMS, a BTreeFolder can easily store a *lot* of objects, etc.
Support for access levels are just great in Zope, fine grained,
hierarchical, can be mapped out to external resources, etc.
Sorry, not to really flame you but your questions are RTFM. Read the Zope
book on zope.org
Besides, like Josef pointed out, this is not the right place to ask about
Zope, this is c.l.p.

Best,
Miklůs