Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > glossary wiki

glossary wiki

Brian van den Broek

Hi all,

in a recent thread

Bengt Richter said unto the world upon 2004-09-04 15:31:

<SNIP>

> This brings up the question of standard terminology (e.g. for
> namespace). If one googles for python glossary, the top references are
> mostly
>
> http://manatee.mojam.com/python-glossary
>
> which seems not to have caught on so far (mea culpa too, since it takes
> volunteers ;-/ ).

<SNIP>

> Re defintions, perhaps it is time to reinvigorate Skip's wiki or
> something like that?

<SNIP>

> Regards,
> Bengt Richter

I've been reading this newsgroup and the Tutor list for a while (I'm still
a relative novice). It seems to me that a more lively glossary wiki might
well help reduce the repetition of some responses on both lists. (Sure,
not everyone will search before asking, but one can hope, right?) I can
say that as a learner, I would very much value a more vigorously
maintained glossary wiki.

On "the effort where my mouth is" principle I have gone and added several
entries: duck typing, dynamically typed, statically typed, and type. But,
as a newbie, I am not wholly confident that what I have said is entirely
right.

So please, if anyone has an interest in keeping a good glossary up to
date, surf by http://manatee.mojam.com/python-glossary and heal my errors
or extend the glossary yourself.

Best to all and thanks,

Brian vdB

Nicolas Fleury

Brian van den Broek wrote:
> So please, if anyone has an interest in keeping a good glossary up to
> date, surf by http://manatee.mojam.com/python-glossary and heal my
> errors or extend the glossary yourself.

I guess it would be nice to put this glossary on
http://www.python.org/moin/.

Regards,
Nicolas

Skip Montanaro

Nicolas> I guess it would be nice to put this glossary on
Nicolas> http://www.python.org/moin/.

That's fine with me. If someone does it let me know and I'll dump mine and
redirect to the relevant page.

Skip

David M. Cooke

At some point, Skip Montanaro <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nicolas> I guess it would be nice to put this glossary on
> Nicolas> http://www.python.org/moin/.
>
> That's fine with me. If someone does it let me know and I'll dump mine and
> redirect to the relevant page.
>
> Skip

Done; it's the PythonGlossary page, linked off of the Documentation
page.

(It's very easy when both wikis use MoinMoin

--
|>|\/|<
|David M. Cooke http://arbutus.physics.mcmaster.ca/dmc/
|(E-Mail Removed)

Skip Montanaro

Nicolas> I guess it would be nice to put this glossary on
Nicolas> http://www.python.org/moin/.

>> That's fine with me. If someone does it let me know and I'll dump
>> mine and redirect to the relevant page.

David> Done; it's the PythonGlossary page, linked off of the
David> Documentation page.

David> (It's very easy when both wikis use MoinMoin

And the old glossary now redirects to the new one.

Skip