Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Usage Statistics

Python Usage Statistics

Anand Pillai

Hi Folks

(posting after a loooong time...)

I have been contracted by an Indian publisher to author an
introductory text book on Python. As a part of the introductory
chapter, I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
there in number of developers and/or installations.

Scrounging the Web for such statistics is proving elusive. The PBF
website seems to be the official place for these, but there also they
just have listings of companies/instituitions using Python, not any
numbers.

Has anybody done an actual market survey anytime recently on
Python usage in the software community? If so, where can I get access
to this information? I would be more interested in the number of
developers, both commercial/non-commercial who are doing development
using Python. Since almost every Linux distro now a days contains
Python by default, a number based on the installations could prove
faulty.

Have a nice day.

-Anand

Benjamin Niemann

Eric S. Raymond made a comparison of language usage for projects
published on sourceforge and freshmeat for his book "The Art of Unix
Programming":
http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch14s05.html#lang_usage
Only covers opensource software and not uptodate anymore though.

Anand Pillai wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> (posting after a loooong time...)
>
> I have been contracted by an Indian publisher to author an
> introductory text book on Python. As a part of the introductory
> chapter, I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
> round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
> there in number of developers and/or installations.
>
> Scrounging the Web for such statistics is proving elusive. The PBF
> website seems to be the official place for these, but there also they
> just have listings of companies/instituitions using Python, not any
> numbers.
>
> Has anybody done an actual market survey anytime recently on
> Python usage in the software community? If so, where can I get access
> to this information? I would be more interested in the number of
> developers, both commercial/non-commercial who are doing development
> using Python. Since almost every Linux distro now a days contains
> Python by default, a number based on the installations could prove
> faulty.
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> -Anand

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Anand Pillai <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been contracted by an Indian publisher to author an
>introductory text book on Python. As a part of the introductory
>chapter, I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
>round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
>there in number of developers and/or installations.

This is extremely difficult; for example, Paint Shop Pro now uses Python
as its macro language. How PSP users have become Python programmers? No
idea.

"To me vi is Zen. To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is a
koan. Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated. You
discover truth everytime you use it." http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

beliavsky@aol.com

(E-Mail Removed) (Anand Pillai) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi Folks
>
> (posting after a loooong time...)
>
> I have been contracted by an Indian publisher to author an
> introductory text book on Python. As a part of the introductory
> chapter, I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
> round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
> there in number of developers and/or installations.

See SkillMarket at http://mshiltonj.com/sm/categories/languages/ .
Polling jobs listed at dice.com , the # of job openings by language on
9/1/2004 were (in descending order)

9216 sql
7722 java
5007 c++
3351 vb
2508 perl
1804 assembly
1723 c#
905 cobol
838 tech writer
268 powerbuilder
266 php
225 cf (cold fusion)
189 python
150 fortran
144 ada
38 ruby

Jeff Shannon

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Anand Pillai) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>

>>... I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
>>round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
>>there in number of developers and/or installations.
>>

>See SkillMarket at http://mshiltonj.com/sm/categories/languages/ .
>Polling jobs listed at dice.com , the # of job openings by language on
>9/1/2004 were (in descending order)

But note that job openings don't necessarily accurately represent
language *usage*, they only represent *unsatisfied demand* for
competency in that language. One could argue, with some justification,
that there's few job openings requesting programmers familiar with
Python because a good programmer can become productive in Python so
quickly -- why take months to hire a Python guy when an existing
employee can *become* a Python guy in a couple weeks? It also doesn't
reflect the usage of Python for small projects, incidental scripting
tasks, etc., where there isn't a need for a full-time employee to be
working on that particular project.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International