Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Dynamic languages

Dynamic languages

Steve Holden

Neuruss wrote:

> I've been reading an article published in E-Week entitled "Microsoft
> Lures Open-Source Programmer", which contains a definition for dynamic
> languages as follows:
>
> "Dynamic programming languages enable programs to change their
> structure as they run."
>
> I wonder if this definition is correct.
> Can we define dynamic languages this way?

Well, look at the source - it's journalism, and it's not meant to be
strictly accurate, merely sufficiently informative for the
mostly-uninformed.

I don't imagine e-Week would be interested in printing a retraction
should you find agreement on a definition in this group (which I suspect
is rather unlikely).

regards
Steve

Peter Hansen

Neuruss wrote:

> "Dynamic programming languages enable programs to change their
> structure as they run."
>
> I wonder if this definition is correct.
> Can we define dynamic languages this way?

As Steve Holden points out, in effect, "sure we can", if we're
journalists.

But another point I haven't seen raised is that one can
certainly say that a dynamic programming language is one
that, like Python, allows an object to have new attributes
or methods added (or old ones removed) on-the-fly. That
certainly should fit the definition of "changing their
structure", by anyone's measure, and it doesn't involve
confusing the issue with "dynamic typing", which is not
necessarily the same thing.

-Peter