Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VLAN's being picked up by new Cisco switch?

VLAN's being picked up by new Cisco switch?

Rob

I've unpacked a new Cisco switch and plugged it into my company's
Cisco switch fabric. It picked up my VTP domain and entered all my
VLAN's into its database. How can I prevent that in the future? I
don't want it to happen.

If I setup my company switch (where I daisy chain the new switch
temporarily) in VTP transparent mode, would that work? Or would it
still pick it up from upstream switches?

By default I know Cisco switches are in VTP Server mode. I do not
want to change that since I'm configuring them for customers, but I
don't want my network to affect them.

thanks,
Robert

Steinar Haug

[Rob]

| I've unpacked a new Cisco switch and plugged it into my company's
| Cisco switch fabric. It picked up my VTP domain and entered all my
| VLAN's into its database. How can I prevent that in the future? I
| don't want it to happen.
|
| If I setup my company switch (where I daisy chain the new switch
| temporarily) in VTP transparent mode, would that work? Or would it
| still pick it up from upstream switches?

VTP transparent would work. VTP server or client with a different
password than the existing VTP domain would also work.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Steinar Haug

[Steinar Haug]

| | I've unpacked a new Cisco switch and plugged it into my company's
| | Cisco switch fabric. It picked up my VTP domain and entered all my
| | VLAN's into its database. How can I prevent that in the future? I
| | don't want it to happen.
| |
| | If I setup my company switch (where I daisy chain the new switch
| | temporarily) in VTP transparent mode, would that work? Or would it
| | still pick it up from upstream switches?
|
| VTP transparent would work. VTP server or client with a different
| password than the existing VTP domain would also work.

... different VTP domain name is what I meant (though different
password would indeed work too

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, (E-Mail Removed)

Rob

Thanks Steinar,
One more question. I would like *MY* switch to participate in my VTP
domain, but I don't want it affecting other switches that get plugged
in. Is there a way to turn off any VTP broadcasts from individual
ports?

Also, if I make a switch transparent, does it stop any VTP broadcasts
from upstream switches infecting a new switch??

On 13 May 2004 20:45:15 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Steinar Haug) wrote:

>[Steinar Haug]
>
>| | I've unpacked a new Cisco switch and plugged it into my company's
>| | Cisco switch fabric. It picked up my VTP domain and entered all my
>| | VLAN's into its database. How can I prevent that in the future? I
>| | don't want it to happen.
>| |
>| | If I setup my company switch (where I daisy chain the new switch
>| | temporarily) in VTP transparent mode, would that work? Or would it
>| | still pick it up from upstream switches?
>|
>| VTP transparent would work. VTP server or client with a different
>| password than the existing VTP domain would also work.
>
>.. different VTP domain name is what I meant (though different
>password would indeed work too
>
>Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, (E-Mail Removed)

Steinar Haug

[Rob]

| One more question. I would like *MY* switch to participate in my VTP
| domain, but I don't want it affecting other switches that get plugged
| in. Is there a way to turn off any VTP broadcasts from individual
| ports?

You could possibly do it with a suitable MAC type filter, otherwise no.

| Also, if I make a switch transparent, does it stop any VTP broadcasts
| from upstream switches infecting a new switch??

No, transparent also means your switch will pass on any VTP announcements
from upstream.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, (E-Mail Removed)