Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > SciTE as editor for Python: No print formatting under LINUX.

SciTE as editor for Python: No print formatting under LINUX.

Konrad Koller

Under Windows print formatting (header, footer etc.) is OK. Under
LINUX it does not work. SciTEGlobal.properties state around line 352:

# Printing - only works on Windows

Why? How is print formatting determined under LINUX (PLAT_GTK)?

Neil Hodgson

Konrad Koller:

> Under Windows print formatting (header, footer etc.) is OK. Under
> LINUX it does not work. SciTEGlobal.properties state around line 352:
>
> # Printing - only works on Windows
>
> Why? How is print formatting determined under LINUX (PLAT_GTK)?

On Windows, the same API is used for drawing to the screen and printer so
SciTE performs printing itself. GTK+ doesn't provide a printing API so SciTE
calls an external application, with the default being a2ps set by
command.print.*=a2ps "$(FileNameExt)"

Neil

Konrad Koller

Neil wrote:
> On Windows, the same API is used for drawing to the screen and printer so
>SciTE performs printing itself. GTK+ doesn't provide a printing API so SciTE
>calls an external application, with the default being a2ps set by
>command.print.*=a2ps "$(FileNameExt)"

Thank you very much for your valuable hint. I could try to add
appropriate options to a2ps, but to fulfill my formatting demands I
prefer to write a short Python program for printing (only for Linux).
Nevertheless SciTE remains my favorite tool for developments with
Python.

Cheers Konrad