Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > compiling python 2.3.4 with command line editing

compiling python 2.3.4 with command line editing

enjoylife_95135

Hi,
I'm running RH9 on my laptop. It comes with the Python 2.2.2 RPM.
Its cool because when I run the interpreter, I can use command line
history.

I need to upgrade, so I downloaded and compiled Python 2.3.4. Very
cool, spiffy etc, but the interpreter doesn't allow for command line
editing, i.e. I can't type <ctrl-P> and go to the previous command.

How do I enable that?

Thanks!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

enjoylife_95135 wrote:
> I need to upgrade, so I downloaded and compiled Python 2.3.4. Very
> cool, spiffy etc, but the interpreter doesn't allow for command line
> editing, i.e. I can't type <ctrl-P> and go to the previous command.
>
> How do I enable that?

Make sure the readline module is built. For that, you need to install
the readline header files, which are probably in the readline-dev
package.

Regards,
Martin

enjoylife_95135

Got it. As it turned out, I needed the readline-dev package *and* the
termcap-dev package. But command-line history works now, and I am warm
and happy.

Thanks!

"Martin v. L÷wis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<411f37bf$0$13058$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> enjoylife_95135 wrote:
> > I need to upgrade, so I downloaded and compiled Python 2.3.4. Very
> > cool, spiffy etc, but the interpreter doesn't allow for command line
> > editing, i.e. I can't type <ctrl-P> and go to the previous command.
> >
> > How do I enable that?

> Make sure the readline module is built. For that, you need to install
> the readline header files, which are probably in the readline-dev
> package.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Is there any command line editing package? haomiao Ruby 2 07-25-2007 12:39 AM
editing on the command line greg Ruby 4 04-15-2007 06:39 PM
Run Unix shell command $ parse command line arguments in python rkoida@yahoo.com Python 4 04-23-2005 04:42 AM
command line editing in irb under MSYS Joel VanderWerf Ruby 1 11-25-2003 08:01 PM
vi-style command-line editing in gdb John C Programming 2 11-14-2003 11:24 PM

Advertisments