Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Flython

Flython

Dave Benjamin

I just want to say, for the record, that if anyone can successfully build a
Python compiler that can produce Flash bytecode, I will personally allow
you to throw *any number of pies* in my face, in as public of a ceremony as
you desire. Furthermore, I will match you 50/50 in the cost of the pies.

Thank you,
Dave

--
.:[ dave benjamin: ramen/[sp00] -:- spoomusic.com -:- ramenfest.com ]:.
"talking about music is like dancing about architecture."

Daniel Ellison

Dave Benjamin wrote:

> I just want to say, for the record, that if anyone can successfully build a
> Python compiler that can produce Flash bytecode, I will personally allow
> you to throw *any number of pies* in my face, in as public of a ceremony as
> you desire. Furthermore, I will match you 50/50 in the cost of the pies.
>
> Thank you,
> Dave

Wow, that's one heavy challenge! Either Dave thinks it just can't be
done, or he really, /really/ wants this compiler.

Dan

Steve Christensen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Daniel Ellison wrote:
> Dave Benjamin wrote:
>
>> I just want to say, for the record, that if anyone can successfully build a
>> Python compiler that can produce Flash bytecode, I will personally allow
>> you to throw *any number of pies* in my face, in as public of a ceremony as
>> you desire. Furthermore, I will match you 50/50 in the cost of the pies.

> Wow, that's one heavy challenge! Either Dave thinks it just can't be
> done, or he really, /really/ wants this compiler.

Or, he really likes pie.

-Steve

Vent d'Est - East Wind

Steve Christensen wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Daniel Ellison wrote:
>
>>Dave Benjamin wrote:
>>

>>>I just want to say, for the record, that if anyone can successfully build a
>>>Python compiler that can produce Flash bytecode, I will personally allow
>>>you to throw *any number of pies* in my face, in as public of a ceremony as
>>>you desire. Furthermore, I will match you 50/50 in the cost of the pies.

>>Wow, that's one heavy challenge! Either Dave thinks it just can't be
>>done, or he really, /really/ wants this compiler.

> Or, he really likes pie.
>

> -Steve

In belgium there is the pieman (with his piegroup , and piecommunity ) ,
he was a baker , and so he is bored of baking and become PieMan or the
Pie Justice man , it s him who have throw Pie In Bill Gates 's face
(this was not his first shoot , he have a lot of important
personality in his hall of fame )

Terry Reedy

"Dave Benjamin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just want to say, for the record, that if anyone can successfully build

> Python compiler that can produce Flash bytecode,

Knowing nothing about Flash bytecode, but knowing a bit about other Python
to X projects, I wonder whether it might be more immediately feasible to
either translate Python bytecode or generate Flash bytecode with an AST
tree walker.

tjr

Christopher T King

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Terry Reedy wrote:

> Knowing nothing about Flash bytecode, but knowing a bit about other Python
> to X projects, I wonder whether it might be more immediately feasible to
> either translate Python bytecode or generate Flash bytecode with an AST
> tree walker.

We'll soon find out

(Unfortunately, AST trees don't match up exactly with Python grammar, so
I'm having to learn the format by trial-and-error. Not much fun. Is
there documentation on the AST forms anywhere?)

Leopold Toetsch

Christopher T King <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (Unfortunately, AST trees don't match up exactly with Python grammar, so
> I'm having to learn the format by trial-and-error. Not much fun. Is
> there documentation on the AST forms anywhere?)

Not really much at least in the python docs.

You might have a look at ast2past.py in languages/python inside the
parrot[1] CVS tree. Its a Python AST visitor that spits out a textual
representation of the AST. It's not totally finished and is for 2.3.
I didn't look at 2.4 yet.

leo

[1] http://www.parrotcode.org, there is a CVS interface too.
--
Leopold Toetsch <(E-Mail Removed)> http://www.toetsch.at/linux/
-

Peter Hansen

Dave Benjamin wrote:

> I just want to say, for the record, that if anyone can successfully build a
> Python compiler that can produce Flash bytecode, I will personally allow
> you to throw *any number of pies* in my face, in as public of a ceremony as
> you desire. Furthermore, I will match you 50/50 in the cost of the pies.

Why on earth (unless it's the liking pies thing or the really wanting
this to be done thing) would you say that? Flash bytecode is pretty
straightforward, and Python's not magic.

In any case, if this is a serious challenge, you'd better start
identifying the constraints and minimum requirements, as I'm
rather positive that it's possible to encode at least *one*
Python statement (print) into Flash bytecode which would
execute properly... shall I demonstrate for, say, one pie?

-Peter

Michael Hudson

Christopher T King <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> > Knowing nothing about Flash bytecode, but knowing a bit about other Python
> > to X projects, I wonder whether it might be more immediately feasible to
> > either translate Python bytecode or generate Flash bytecode with an AST
> > tree walker.

> We'll soon find out
>
> (Unfortunately, AST trees don't match up exactly with Python grammar, so
> I'm having to learn the format by trial-and-error. Not much fun. Is
> there documentation on the AST forms anywhere?)

Which AST are you talking about? Which version of Python, etc?

However, the answer to the "documentation" plea is probably "no".

Cheers,
mwh

--
Do I do everything in C++ and teach a course in advanced swearing?
-- David Beazley at IPC8, on choosing a language for teaching

Christopher T King

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Michael Hudson wrote:

> Christopher T King <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > (Unfortunately, AST trees don't match up exactly with Python grammar, so
> > I'm having to learn the format by trial-and-error. Not much fun. Is
> > there documentation on the AST forms anywhere?)

> Which AST are you talking about?

Whatever is spit out by parser.suite(). Things like grammar.txt's
"statement" being represented symbol.stmt, and grammar.txt's stmt_list not
existing at all in the AST trees (though most/all of the other _lists
exist).

> Which version of Python, etc?

2.3. I'm using http://docs.python.org/ref/grammar.txt as my grammar
reference.

> However, the answer to the "documentation" plea is probably "no".

Is there at least some rationale why the AST trees don't match the
grammar definitions?

RE: Flython? Ben Last Python 1 08-18-2004 01:38 PM
Flython? Peter Hansen Python 27 08-18-2004 12:40 AM
RE: Flython? Ben Last Python 0 08-16-2004 07:06 PM

Advertisments