Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Popular Python projects with lots of pure Python code

Popular Python projects with lots of pure Python code

Brett C.

For my thesis (once the bloody thing stops throwing bugs at me) I am
going to need to collect stats on the frequency that atomic types in
local variables are applied to various opcodes and methods. That means
that I need something to collect stats off of.

So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to run
it, just going to be compiling to .py files.

Any suggestions?

-Brett

Roger Binns

Brett C. wrote:
> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
> stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
> But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
> ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to
> run it, just going to be compiling to .py files.

ZOPE/Plone. BitTorrent.

Have a look on SourceForge.

http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/t...p?form_cat=178

Other than the 10,000 clones of BitTorrent and projects that
use Python very peripherally, there are many appropriate
projects.

My BitPim project has 30,000 lines of Python, 2,500 lines of
description files which are compiled into 41,000 lines of
Python and 500 lines of C/C++. It does GUI stuff, talks on
serial ports to cell phones, has XML-RPC remoting over secure
connections, has installation code, uses external data sources
such as CSV, vCards as well as Outlook, Evolution etc. Consequently
that gives you a nice wide spread of things the code does. If you do
use it, feel free to send me email if you have any questions
or need help. There is also a presentation I did which gives a
good overview:

http://bitpim.org/papers/baypiggies/

Roger

Larry Bates

ReportLab?

HTH,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

"Brett C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For my thesis (once the bloody thing stops throwing bugs at me) I am
> going to need to collect stats on the frequency that atomic types in
> local variables are applied to various opcodes and methods. That means
> that I need something to collect stats off of.
>
> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
> stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
> But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
> ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to run
> it, just going to be compiling to .py files.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -Brett

Troels Therkelsen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brett C. wrote:
> For my thesis (once the bloody thing stops throwing bugs at me) I am
> going to need to collect stats on the frequency that atomic types in
> local variables are applied to various opcodes and methods. That means
> that I need something to collect stats off of.
>
> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
> stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
> But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
> ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to run
> it, just going to be compiling to .py files.
>
> Any suggestions?

What about MoinMoin and Mailman? Those are fairly large-ish pure-python
projects.

If 100% pure python isn't a must, PIL might also be able to yield useful stats
as all of the abstraction is done in python.

Hope this helps,

Troels Therkelsen

Roy Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Brett C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For my thesis (once the bloody thing stops throwing bugs at me) I am
> going to need to collect stats on the frequency that atomic types in
> local variables are applied to various opcodes and methods. That means
> that I need something to collect stats off of.
>
> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
> stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
> But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
> ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to run
> it, just going to be compiling to .py files.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -Brett

Ilya Etingof's PySNMP package is a pretty large collection of Python
code. See http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/

Fernando Perez

Brett C. wrote:

> For my thesis (once the bloody thing stops throwing bugs at me) I am
> going to need to collect stats on the frequency that atomic types in
> local variables are applied to various opcodes and methods. That means
> that I need something to collect stats off of.
>
> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
> stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
> But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
> ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to run
> it, just going to be compiling to .py files.
>
> Any suggestions?

well, scipy is not pure python (lots of fortran/C), but it does have a lot of
python in it. Given that it's probably a decent representative of typical
scientific code (and scientific use of python is growing fast, see scipy'04),
it might be an interesting addition to your sample.

Best,

Patrick Ellis

Brett C. wrote:
> For my thesis (once the bloody thing stops throwing bugs at me) I am
> going to need to collect stats on the frequency that atomic types in
> local variables are applied to various opcodes and methods. That
> means that I need something to collect stats off of.
>
> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
> stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
> But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
> ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to
> run it, just going to be compiling to .py files.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -Brett

BoaConstructor

Dan Sommers

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 15:01:29 -0700,
"Brett C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For my thesis (once the bloody thing stops throwing bugs at me) I am
> going to need to collect stats on the frequency that atomic types in
> local variables are applied to various opcodes and methods. That means
> that I need something to collect stats off of.

> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
> stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils. But
> beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a ton
> of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to run it,
> just going to be compiling to .py files.

> Any suggestions?

It's not a project, as such, but how about Python's standard library?

Tons and tons of python code, written by the best python coders around.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers
<http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan/>

Michael Scarlett

Troels Therkelsen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<slrnchfvom.t6.t_therkelsen@abattoir.2-10.org>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brett C. wrote:
> >[/snipped]
> >
> > Any suggestions?

yeah, why don't you go to sourcforge and search under python projects,
you'll get a ton

Detlev Offenbach

Brett C. wrote:

> For my thesis (once the bloody thing stops throwing bugs at me) I am
> going to need to collect stats on the frequency that atomic types in
> local variables are applied to various opcodes and methods. That means
> that I need something to collect stats off of.
>
> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
> stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
> But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
> ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to run
> it, just going to be compiling to .py files.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -Brett

How about eric3 (http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html). It has
about 50 klines of code.