Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Dial Backup

Dial Backup

nospam@nospam.com

I have a 1760 that I would like to configure dial backup on. I have the
WIC-1ENET installed directly to a cable modem which works fine. Is there
anyway to be able to setup dial backup if for example the head end of the
cable company goes down? I know it will work if the cable modem itself
goes down as the e0/0 interface will go down. Any ideas would greatly be
appreciated.

Steven Kalcevich

> I have a 1760 that I would like to configure dial backup on. I have the
> WIC-1ENET installed directly to a cable modem which works fine. Is
> there anyway to be able to setup dial backup if for example the head end
> of the cable company goes down? I know it will work if the cable modem
> itself goes down as the e0/0 interface will go down. Any ideas would
> greatly be appreciated.

Hey,

Heres an article on DDR (dial on demand) routing....This can do what you
are looking for.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/papers/ddr.htm

steven kalcevich

What's going on with my NG server, this is the third time I've sent this.

Sent this a couple days ago, never show up, one more try.
And I think they called it DHRP

A couple years back I asked Cisco the same thing with the addition that my
cheap, non-Cisco, DSL modem could do it (Netopia, sends a ping to see if the
far-end device is still there). I was told they were "working on it" and
they gave me a four letter name for the new feature (sort of like VRRP but
different).

I never did hear back from them, I did check up on it once a long time ago
but still not there. I would think it would be a big deal to add,
but........

If anyone has heard of this addition I'd like to know as well.

I can't believe I found the e-mail
Cisco Case D112697 - 9/12/2002 Add ICMP support for PBR set next-hop verify
availability

I was just one of 50 open tickets at the time, and not the first one.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>I have a 1760 that I would like to configure dial backup on. I have the

WIC-1ENET installed directly to a cable modem which works fine. Is there
anyway to be >able to setup dial backup if for example the head end of the
cable company goes down? I know it will work if the cable modem itself goes
down as the e0/0 >interface will go down. Any ideas would greatly be
appreciated.

Aaron Leonard

On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:31:18 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

~ I have a 1760 that I would like to configure dial backup on. I have the
~ WIC-1ENET installed directly to a cable modem which works fine. Is there
~ anyway to be able to setup dial backup if for example the head end of the
~ cable company goes down? I know it will work if the cable modem itself
~ goes down as the e0/0 interface will go down. Any ideas would greatly be
~ appreciated.

If you are getting some kind of dynamic routing information
(RIP, OSPF, whatever), then dialer watch or floating static
DDR would work.

If you aren't, then you would need to use one of the following
features:

Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...e/dbackupx.htm
in 12.3(2)XE

or

PBR Support for Multiple Tracking Options
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...4/gtpbrtrk.htm
in 12.3(4)T

Aaron

nospam@nospam.com