Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > AVI I/O

AVI I/O

ziaran

Hello,

I want to use Python for Image proccessing.
I need the following capabilities:

1. To be able to read and WRITE an AVI file frame by frame.
2. To be able to access each fram as a simple matrix.

I tried to search for that in google but could not find something
intuitive and simple.

The matrices part is important since iamge processing is done through
matrices manipulation.

MATLAB is an example of a tool with scripting capabilities in which you
can do that in a simple way.

Is Python adequate for that?

Thanks,
Nir

Scott David Daniels

ziaran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use Python for Image proccessing.
> I need the following capabilities:
>
> 1. To be able to read and WRITE an AVI file frame by frame.
> 2. To be able to access each fram as a simple matrix.
>
> I tried to search for that in google but could not find something
> intuitive and simple.
>
> The matrices part is important since iamge processing is done through
> matrices manipulation.
>
> MATLAB is an example of a tool with scripting capabilities in which you
> can do that in a simple way.
>
> Is Python adequate for that?
>
> Thanks,
> Nir

Python is, of course, up to the job. However, nobody I know has
provided free access to something that "knows" how to generate the AVI
format. The array formay part is probably best handled through numarray
(which is quite happy with multi-dimensional arrays). PIL may also have
some interesting things to get you going.

So, the parts are mostly there. If you want the whole kit and kaboodle
prepackaged for you, no luck.

-Scott David Daniels