Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > What to do with old RMA's?

Reply
Thread Tools

What to do with old RMA's?

 
 
jin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2004
What to do about old RMA's


Greetings.

As an added responsibility in my workplace I was just given the
responsibility of taking care of the RMA's at my location. I work for
a small to medium telecom company that is a result of several mergers
and a couple of acquisitions.

Prior to this being assisgned to me there was no one individual
responsible for making sure that the RMA's were actually sent back to
the vendor. As a result, there is a "pile of stuff" that didn't get
sent back with some of it being 3+ years old. Most, if not all are
pieces of equipment that was sent to us to repair or replace a failed
component and the responsible tech was supposed to send the failed
component back to the manufacutrer (Cisco, Lucent and Nokia to name a
few).

A couple of the othe Techs brought up the following:

1. Since the RMA's are so old we were probably charged for the
equipment when we didn't send it back so then it would belong to the
"company."

2. Even if it was sent back we wouldn't receive credit for it anyway
since it is so old.


My question is, if the above is true can I just dispose of the stuff
by throwing it out? Or, any other advice on what to do with this
stuff?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
IBNFSHN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2004
Most vendors require RMA's to be sent back within 30 days. Sounds like to me
you inherited a bunch of junk. I assume its bad if you have a RMA for it.u


--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va


"jin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What to do about old RMA's
>
>
> Greetings.
>
> As an added responsibility in my workplace I was just given the
> responsibility of taking care of the RMA's at my location. I work for
> a small to medium telecom company that is a result of several mergers
> and a couple of acquisitions.
>
> Prior to this being assisgned to me there was no one individual
> responsible for making sure that the RMA's were actually sent back to
> the vendor. As a result, there is a "pile of stuff" that didn't get
> sent back with some of it being 3+ years old. Most, if not all are
> pieces of equipment that was sent to us to repair or replace a failed
> component and the responsible tech was supposed to send the failed
> component back to the manufacutrer (Cisco, Lucent and Nokia to name a
> few).
>
> A couple of the othe Techs brought up the following:
>
> 1. Since the RMA's are so old we were probably charged for the
> equipment when we didn't send it back so then it would belong to the
> "company."
>
> 2. Even if it was sent back we wouldn't receive credit for it anyway
> since it is so old.
>
>
> My question is, if the above is true can I just dispose of the stuff
> by throwing it out? Or, any other advice on what to do with this
> stuff?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tax Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2004
"jin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What to do about old RMA's
>
>
> Greetings.
>
> As an added responsibility in my workplace I was just given the
> responsibility of taking care of the RMA's at my location. I work for
> a small to medium telecom company that is a result of several mergers
> and a couple of acquisitions.
>
> Prior to this being assisgned to me there was no one individual
> responsible for making sure that the RMA's were actually sent back to
> the vendor. As a result, there is a "pile of stuff" that didn't get
> sent back with some of it being 3+ years old. Most, if not all are
> pieces of equipment that was sent to us to repair or replace a failed
> component and the responsible tech was supposed to send the failed
> component back to the manufacutrer (Cisco, Lucent and Nokia to name a
> few).
>
> A couple of the othe Techs brought up the following:
>
> 1. Since the RMA's are so old we were probably charged for the
> equipment when we didn't send it back so then it would belong to the
> "company."
>
> 2. Even if it was sent back we wouldn't receive credit for it anyway
> since it is so old.
>
>
> My question is, if the above is true can I just dispose of the stuff
> by throwing it out? Or, any other advice on what to do with this
> stuff?


I almost always send the RMA's back immediately, but the few times I didn't,
I got nasty-grams from Cisco. But, it's been at least 2 years since I got
one of them.

Sell the stuff on eBay... (mention that it's broken, though)


 
Reply With Quote
 
jin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2004
"Tax Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<lAPnc.15117$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>...
> "jin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > What to do about old RMA's
> >
> >
> > Greetings.
> >
> > As an added responsibility in my workplace I was just given the
> > responsibility of taking care of the RMA's at my location. I work for
> > a small to medium telecom company that is a result of several mergers
> > and a couple of acquisitions.
> >
> > Prior to this being assisgned to me there was no one individual
> > responsible for making sure that the RMA's were actually sent back to
> > the vendor. As a result, there is a "pile of stuff" that didn't get
> > sent back with some of it being 3+ years old. Most, if not all are
> > pieces of equipment that was sent to us to repair or replace a failed
> > component and the responsible tech was supposed to send the failed
> > component back to the manufacutrer (Cisco, Lucent and Nokia to name a
> > few).
> >
> > A couple of the othe Techs brought up the following:
> >
> > 1. Since the RMA's are so old we were probably charged for the
> > equipment when we didn't send it back so then it would belong to the
> > "company."
> >
> > 2. Even if it was sent back we wouldn't receive credit for it anyway
> > since it is so old.
> >
> >
> > My question is, if the above is true can I just dispose of the stuff
> > by throwing it out? Or, any other advice on what to do with this
> > stuff?

>
> I almost always send the RMA's back immediately, but the few times I didn't,
> I got nasty-grams from Cisco. But, it's been at least 2 years since I got
> one of them.
>
> Sell the stuff on eBay... (mention that it's broken, though)


A couple of the pieces are Cisco and were supposed to be returned to
them on the RMA 2 1/2 years ago. I guess I would like to find out who
owns them before I do anything. Does my company own them or does
Cisco? Did we get charged for them when we didn't return them under
the original RMA?


Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Hansang Bae
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> A couple of the pieces are Cisco and were supposed to be returned to
> them on the RMA 2 1/2 years ago. I guess I would like to find out who
> owns them before I do anything. Does my company own them or does
> Cisco? Did we get charged for them when we didn't return them under
> the original RMA?


Their policy is to charge for non-returned RMA. Whether they follow up
with it or not is anyones guess.

--

hsb

"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding" Calvin
*************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ****************
************************************************** ******************
Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able to
reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup instead.
************************************************** ******************
 
Reply With Quote
 
jin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
Hansang Bae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > A couple of the pieces are Cisco and were supposed to be returned to
> > them on the RMA 2 1/2 years ago. I guess I would like to find out who
> > owns them before I do anything. Does my company own them or does
> > Cisco? Did we get charged for them when we didn't return them under
> > the original RMA?

>
> Their policy is to charge for non-returned RMA. Whether they follow up
> with it or not is anyones guess.
>
> --
>
> hsb
>
> "Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding" Calvin
> *************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ****************
> ************************************************** ******************
> Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able to
> reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup instead.
> ************************************************** ******************




Thanks. I would also guess that Cisco would charge for all non
returned RMA's. Otherwise, not much stuff would ever get back to them.

Because this stuff did not get returned 2 1/2 years ago I'll bet that
we got charged for the non return. Not sure how I could verify that
though.

Imagine, Cisco getting the revenue for 2 pieces of identical equipment
when only 1 works!!!


Now, what do I do with this non returned stuff?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dmitri
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2004
The original manufacturer of this hardware is the one who technically owns
it. However, if they did not bother you all this time, they probably don't
want to mess around with it anymore or, as you correctly assumed, your
company was already charged for all this hardware. In this case a visit to
your accounts payables should notmally resolve the question. I would keep
it for another year just to make sure it is off their books. in the
meantime, the hardware may have memory and other (removeable) useful
stuff. Just make this fact known to your engineers...

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for
premises cabling users and pros
http://www.cabling-design.com/resour...sidential.html
Residential Cabling Guide
-------------------------------------
jin wrote:

> Hansang Bae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > A couple of the pieces are Cisco and were supposed to be
>>> returned to
>> > them on the RMA 2 1/2 years ago. I guess I would like to find
>>> out who
>> > owns them before I do anything. Does my company own them or
>>> does
>> > Cisco? Did we get charged for them when we didn't return them
>>> under
>> > the original RMA?

>>
>> Their policy is to charge for non-returned RMA. Whether they
>> follow up
>> with it or not is anyones guess.
>>
>> --
>>
>> hsb
>>
>> "Somehow I imagined this experience would be more
>> rewarding" Calvin
>> *************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS
>> ****************
>>
>> ************************************************** ******************
>> Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able
>> to
>> reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup
>> instead.
>>
>> ************************************************** ******************




> Thanks. I would also guess that Cisco would charge for all non
> returned RMA's. Otherwise, not much stuff would ever get back to them.


> Because this stuff did not get returned 2 1/2 years ago I'll bet that
> we got charged for the non return. Not sure how I could verify that
> though.


> Imagine, Cisco getting the revenue for 2 pieces of identical equipment
> when only 1 works!!!



> Now, what do I do with this non returned stuff?





##-----------------------------------------------#
Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archiv
http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.telecom.tec
##-----------------------------------------------##
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phillip Remaker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2004
> Prior to this being assisgned to me there was no one individual
> responsible for making sure that the RMA's were actually sent back to
> the vendor. As a result, there is a "pile of stuff" that didn't get
> sent back with some of it being 3+ years old.


As a general rule, Cisco wants back old RMAs. At the very least, Cisco will
ensure that the product is refurbished, reused, or disposed in an
enviromentally safe (ISO 14001 compliant) manner. As for the charges, it is
hard to say how that all worked out. If you have the RMA numbers, it is
possible the customer service can look them up to see how the accounts were
settled. Since it is more than one fiscal year ago, it is unlikely that
either company would want to go through the trouble to make whatever
adjustment is needed... but you never know! Chances are it is not worth the
effort to settle out.

If option 'B' is to throw them in the dumpster, you should send them back
instead. The RMA paperwork should also have information on how to arrange a
Federal Express freight-collect pickup.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new hard disk on old, old pc Deano Computer Support 5 10-21-2005 12:32 PM
old printer and old WP in Windows XP? lu Computer Support 6 01-14-2005 02:18 PM
WTB: Old 8mm or old photo cameras Apkesh Digital Photography 1 12-24-2003 08:57 PM
Old Mountain... Old Machines... Seymore Digital Photography 1 12-03-2003 04:25 AM
old sony fd91 finally dying - old age? lefty Digital Photography 5 10-26-2003 05:53 PM



Advertisments