Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Connecting 2 CISCO routers directly

Connecting 2 CISCO routers directly

amn

Hi all,

Is it possible to connect two CISCO routers with a serial WAN interface
directly using either voice-grade or CAT 5/6 cable?

The purpose is to use 2 routers (805 for example) to connect two building
with a distance of 800 meters between them. Existing ducts can be used
in this case. Fibre will require new ducts.

shope

"amn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:409ddb51$0$563$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to connect two CISCO routers with a serial WAN interface
> directly using either voice-grade or CAT 5/6 cable?

dont think so (or at least it isnt documented)

> The purpose is to use 2 routers (805 for example) to connect two building
> with a distance of 800 meters between them. Existing ducts can be used
> in this case. Fibre will require new ducts.

even if you can make serial work over UTP, it isnt going to cope with those
distances.

Buy some serial line drivers from Black Box or the local equivalent (should
give you 1.5 or 2M).

1 other alternative is a pair of SDSL modems - these often come with
Ethernet ports, so you may only need 1 router1. Standard SDSL is good for
around 2 Km and 2.3 Mbps.

I have seen the Net2net working well on voice grade cabling and rented
copper circuits in the UK.
http://www.nettonet.com/solutions/point-to-point/
--
Regards

mh

Get some copper-based limited distance modems (LDM).

see http://www.pulsewan.com/rad/asm40.htm for an product example; many manufacturers

AnyBody43

"shope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> "amn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is it possible to connect two CISCO routers with a serial WAN interface
> > directly using either voice-grade or CAT 5/6 cable?

> dont think so (or at least it isnt documented)
> >
> > The purpose is to use 2 routers (805 for example) to connect two building
> > with a distance of 800 meters between them. Existing ducts can be used
> > in this case. Fibre will require new ducts.

I know nothing about it but you might want to consider
LRE - Long Range Ethernet.

mh

Make sure the LDMs are SYNCHRONOUS and have a V.35 interface