Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Catalyst 4500 Supervisor IV's and Management Vlans

Catalyst 4500 Supervisor IV's and Management Vlans

John Ireland

Hi All
we are planning the following topology, with dot1q trunks between each
catalyst;

cat6500supII(core)----cat4500supIV-----cat4500supIV-----cat4500supIV--4500supIV-----cat6500supII(core)---(then
back to above cat6500supII)

considering Cat4500 sup IV's are running IOS and don't have a sc0
management interface like catOS switches do you still need to run a
management vlan through the trunks (along with the user data vlan) or
do you just give the them ip addresses on their loopback 0 interfaces
? Do the loopback interfaces sit in the managment vlan ? I am trying
to understand how to setup the Sup IV's taking into consideration the
way we have several cat 4006 sup II's setup where their sc0 interface
sits in a separate management vlan.
thanks in advance
John

mh

Having a separate VLAN for management is a good idea. Do not use VLAN 1.

The managment VLAN has to be enabled on all of the dot1q trunks.

Are you sure you want to use the topology indicated ?
You would be better off to dual home each 4500 to the 6500 core switches.

Javier

You should set up the management VLAN manually on each box. I als
suggest NOT using VLAN1 (for security reasons).

This is Layer-2, so the loopback interfaces have nothing to do here. A
long as you can reach them "physically" (layer-2) the routing take
care of the rest (layer-3).

John Ireland wrote:
> *Hi All
> we are planning the following topology, with dot1q trunks betwee
> each
> catalyst;
>
> cat6500supII(core)----cat4500supIV-----cat4500supIV-----cat4500supIV--4500supIV-----cat6500supII(core)---(then
> back to above cat6500supII)
>
> considering Cat4500 sup IV's are running IOS and don't have a sc0
> management interface like catOS switches do you still need to run a
> management vlan through the trunks (along with the user data vlan
> or
> do you just give the them ip addresses on their loopback
> interfaces
> ? Do the loopback interfaces sit in the managment vlan ? I am trying
> to understand how to setup the Sup IV's taking into consideratio
> the
> way we have several cat 4006 sup II's setup where their sc
> interface
> sits in a separate management vlan.
> thanks in advance
> John

-
Javie

Difference between Cisco 4500 and 4500-E switches ttripp Cisco 1 12-08-2009 04:04 PM
Difference between Cisco 4500 and 4500-E switches ttripp Cisco 5 01-16-2009 01:28 PM
Migrating from supervisor engine 1a to supervisor 2, pfc2, msfc2. Any tips ? acdsp Cisco 2 01-23-2007 09:46 PM
4500 Supervisor Cards CiscoDave Cisco 1 08-24-2005 05:11 PM
Difference in Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Models John Ireland Cisco 0 10-26-2003 03:01 AM

Advertisments