Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > routing based on source ip, NOT dest ip....

routing based on source ip, NOT dest ip....

Eric Sorenson

Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That shouldn't be necessary if the router knows which interface to use
> to get to y.y.y.1 and x.x.x.1.

I think I was running IP unnumbered over one T1 and PPP over the other, so
the next-hop didn't work quite right.

--
Eric Sorenson - Systems / Network Administrator, MIS - Transmeta Corporation

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Eric Sorenson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > That shouldn't be necessary if the router knows which interface to use
> > to get to y.y.y.1 and x.x.x.1.

> I think I was running IP unnumbered over one T1 and PPP over the other, so
> the next-hop didn't work quite right.

Basically, the rule of thumb is that the "set ip next-hop" destination
should be the same as if you were creating a static route. If you're
routing to a point-to-point link you can use the interface, otherwise
you would use the next hop's address.

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA