Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cables(cross-over cable or not)....

cables(cross-over cable or not)....

Captain

We have two(2) Cisco3620 routers.

One is our gateway router with a FastEthernet
card facing inward.

The other has 2 FastEthernet cards in it, one
facing our internal network, and one facing
the gateway router. This router is being used
to traffic shape.

How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be
connected?

ie. by a crossover cable, or
both pluged into a 100-Mb switch?

Note, someone told me that a cross over cable
reduces the speed to 10-Mb single duplex, is this
true?

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

Captain wrote:

> How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be
> connected?
>
> ie. by a crossover cable, or
> both pluged into a 100-Mb switch?

I'd use a crossover cable. One less box to fail.

> Note, someone told me that a cross over cable
> reduces the speed to 10-Mb single duplex, is this
> true?

No.

Regards,

Marco.