Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ANN: NamerTamer Photo Processor

ANN: NamerTamer Photo Processor

Justin Shaw

Check out NamerTamer at http://namertamer.sourceforge.net/. I have had
this project on sourceforge for quite a while with little to no activity.
If your a digital photographer and your not interested, I want to know why.
You can rename a whole slew of images, remove redeye, and rotate them in a
jiff. No heavy lifting here, everyone already has their favorite image
editor already. Give it a try and give me some feed back whether you like
the program or not.

Thanks,
Justin

NamerTamer is a photo processor designed to speed up and simplify the common
tasks associated with digital photo management: renaming, rotating,
cropping, red eye editing, and thumbnailing. Each task is expedited via a
"Hot-Key" sequence using either the <Ctrl> or <Alt> key to avoid menu
navigation and to minimize mouse utilization.
The speed gained comes at the expense of oft-relied upon safety nets. Files
can be deleted or over-written without warning or recourse. For this reason
it is recommended that you practice with NamerTamer using a test directory
containing copies of the original images. All photo edits are un-doable
which provides a degree of safety. The two actions with permanent
repercussions are saving and deleting. NamerTamer makes both of these
actions easy and quick to accomplish, with the assumption that the user will
wield these powers with the requisite care.

Initially I wrote NamerTamer simply to rename the images after uploading
them from a digital camera. Windows XP's Explorer was almost up to this task
as thumbnails of the images can easily be viewed and rotated directly in
Explorer. Renaming several images is cumbersome and requires jumping back
and forth between the keyboard and mouse for each image. Another minor peeve
was that the extension had to be retyped for each image.

NamerTamer -- Makes common tasks easy and leaves the rest to GIMP.

Jeff Epler

I'm not interested. Here are some of the reasons that come to mind.

0. If I had seen "namertamer" in a list of software, even graphics-related
software, I would have had no idea that it performed operations like
resize, crop, and red-eye reduction.

1. I can't tell what requirements the program has, and whether it'll
run on Unix in the first place.

2. The most common task I perform, and the one that should be the most
automatable, is crop & resize for printing. I don't see that on the
list of actions your software performs. (Crop region with appropriate
aspect ratio, resize to at most WxH pixels, and save a copy)

3. This program will be very threatening for a beginning user. Remember,
everyone but you will begin using this software as a beginner. Put all
the commands in a nicely-organized menu bar or on a toolbar, which
provides a way to teach users the keyboard shortcut at the same time (by
giving the key-combination in the menu or in the toolbar item's tooltip)

4. I don't know how much this applies to other digital photographers,
but once a photo makes it off my camera and onto my hard drive, I want
to keep a copy of that original jpeg file forever, even if I make some
adjustments. You suggest manually making a copy and running namertamer,
but I would rather see this integrated.

5. If your application is a Windows-specific application, use some Win32
API to move files to the Recycling Bin or whatever it's called, instead
of deleting them forever. Then, users can recover from an accidental
deletion just as though they had deleted the file using Windows Explorer.

5a. Add a Netscape-style "never ask this question again" to a prompt on
delete, because all users expect delete to at least ask for confirmation.
This will allow those users to get what they expect, but allow people
who trust their fingers to avoid hitting another key at every deletion.

6. Provide a before & after shot of your red-eye reduction.

7. For rotation, read the related EXIF tag and automatically rotate the
image to match it when the image is loaded. On save, set the EXIF tag
to indicate that the image is properly oriented.

8. Preserve EXIF information on save.

9. Why are "rect" and "oval" radiobuttons instead of keyboard shortcuts?
Why don't you use standard icons for rectangular and oval selection,
like all the other programs in the world?

Jeff