Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Static Typing

Static Typing

OvErboRed

There's some slides at http://www.python.org/~guido/static-typing/. Are
these features already in Python? I'm guessing not but if so, how do I
enable these (I get syntax errors), and why can't I find any documentation
on them? Thanks in advance.

Ville Vainio

publicNO> There's some slides at
publicNO> http://www.python.org/~guido/static-typing/. Are these
publicNO> features already in Python? I'm guessing not but if so,
publicNO> how do I enable these (I get syntax errors), and why
publicNO> can't I find any documentation on them? Thanks in
publicNO> advance.

Yes, they are not, and "enabling" them would probably involve more
work than you probably expect to be able to put it .

For one approach to statically typed Python, check out

http://boo.codehaus.org/

We do need to have to wait a bit more to get a statically typed
CPython, unfortunately. Somehow I feel it's not going to get in during
the 2.4 alpha/beta cycle .

--
Ville Vainio http://tinyurl.com/2prnb

Erik Max Francis

Ville Vainio wrote:

> We do need to have to wait a bit more to get a statically typed
> CPython, unfortunately. Somehow I feel it's not going to get in during
> the 2.4 alpha/beta cycle .

It's interesting, though. I had missed it the first time around, I find
it intriguing.

--
__ Erik Max Francis && http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM erikmaxfrancis

Ville Vainio

Erik> Ville Vainio wrote:

>> We do need to have to wait a bit more to get a statically typed
>> CPython, unfortunately. Somehow I feel it's not going to get in
>> during the 2.4 alpha/beta cycle .

Erik> It's interesting, though. I had missed it the first time
Erik> around, I find it intriguing.

It is - but the slides don't describe type inference, and that's
definitely what I would like to see in the future typing system.

--
Ville Vainio http://tinyurl.com/2prnb

John Roth

"OvErboRed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> There's some slides at http://www.python.org/~guido/static-typing/. Are
> these features already in Python? I'm guessing not but if so, how do I
> enable these (I get syntax errors), and why can't I find any documentation
> on them? Thanks in advance.

You might notice the date on those slides. It's been almost four
years and at least three releases, and there has been no movement.
I wouldn't suggest holding your breath.

John Roth