Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > stopping traceroute...

stopping traceroute...

Captain

What is the command to stop a traceroute on cisco router?

Rainer Temme

"Captain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the command to stop a traceroute on cisco router?

Hi Captain,

to stop the traceroute you've to type in the "escape-character" ...
if you do a "show terminal" you'll find the actual setting of it
anyhow, I've never been able to (successfully) type in the
escape-character that is set by default.
I usually change is with " terminal escape-character 3" to Control-C.
Regards ... Rainer

Remien, Carsten

Hi,

default is
Crtl + Shift + 6 then x

Regards

Carsten Remien

AnyBody43

"Remien, Carsten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
>
> default is
> Crtl + Shift + 6 then x
>
> Regards
>
> Carsten Remien

I agree and it does work sometimes at least.

I am still not fully clear on all of this however:

To clarify (I think) the default escape character
is [Control]^ then x.

To get that (for the un initiated) you press and hold the [Ctrl] and
[Shitft] keys and press and release the '^' key (in the UK the
6 above "T"). You may then release the [Ctrl] and [Shitft] keys
at your leisure and press 'x'.

Is the 'x' case sensitive?

e.g. on (C837-K9O3SY6-M), Version 12.2(13)ZH2
using Putty (VERY, very fine free telnet/ssh client) with default
settings. I can stop a trace with just [Ctrl][Shitf]^.

router#trace doc.ic.ac.uk

Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to doc.ic.ac.uk (146.169.1.24)

1 xxxxxxxxxx (xxxxxxxx) 180 msec 16 msec 16 msec
2 217.32.70.130 12 msec 8 msec 16 msec
3 217.32.70.238 20 msec 20 msec 20 msec
4 g2-3.lon-gs1dsl.mistral.net (217.154.184.65) 16 msec 20 msec 24 msec
5 g5-0.lon-th2rt.mistral.net (217.154.71.16) 16 msec 12 msec 20 msec
6 217.154.71.4 20 msec
router#

Hansang Bae

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, anybody43
@hotmail.com says...
> I agree and it does work sometimes at least.
>
> I am still not fully clear on all of this however:
>
> To clarify (I think) the default escape character
> is [Control]^ then x.

No. The escape character is JUST CTRL-SHIFT-6. The "X" is used to
bring you back to the EXEC session.

AS an example
TrmSvr#trace 24.29.99.17
Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to 24.29.99.17

1 * *

I hit CTRL-SHIFT-6 (hold ctrl and shift down and repeatedly hit 6) to
kill the session.

--

hsb

Captain

On Sat, 08 May 2004 21:43:43 GMT, Hansang Bae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, anybody43
>@hotmail.com says...
>> I agree and it does work sometimes at least.
>>
>> I am still not fully clear on all of this however:
>>
>> To clarify (I think) the default escape character
>> is [Control]^ then x.

>No. The escape character is JUST CTRL-SHIFT-6. The "X" is used to
>bring you back to the EXEC session.
>

>AS an example
>TrmSvr#trace 24.29.99.17
>Type escape sequence to abort.
>Tracing the route to 24.29.99.17
>
> 1 * *
>
>I hit CTRL-SHIFT-6 (hold ctrl and shift down and repeatedly hit 6) to
>kill the session.

You only have to hit the 6 once, TraceRoute will stop after
the current line ends.

Thanks all!!

Hansang Bae

> >I hit CTRL-SHIFT-6 (hold ctrl and shift down and repeatedly hit 6) to
> >kill the session.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, captain99_1999
@yahoo.com says...
> You only have to hit the 6 once, TraceRoute will stop after
> the current line ends.

For the same reason why I hit a lit elevator button, I hit 6 a multiple
times! <G>

--

hsb

Vincent C Jones

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Hansang Bae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >I hit CTRL-SHIFT-6 (hold ctrl and shift down and repeatedly hit 6) to
>> >kill the session.

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, captain99_1999
>@yahoo.com says...
>> You only have to hit the 6 once, TraceRoute will stop after
>> the current line ends.

>For the same reason why I hit a lit elevator button, I hit 6 a multiple
>times! <G>
>
>hsb

One defect I've noticed on at least some command/IOS release/HW
platform combinations, is that the <ctl-shift-6> break ONLY works if it
is the FIRST character typed. If you happen to hit any other keys/key
combinations, there is no way to break in. I've never bothered to
report it or check to see if it is already in Cisco's bug tracking
system. Some commands also require the two keystroke combination
<ctrl-shift-6> followed by <shift-X>. Type ahead (typing another command
while the previous command is still executing) is another feature which
works inconsistently, but I suspect that is more a function of Telnet
than of the IOS.

Good luck and have fun!
http://www.networkingunlimited.com

Kevin Widner

"Remien, Carsten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
>
> default is
> Crtl + Shift + 6 then x
>
> Regards
>
> Carsten Remien

I agree with this, but in a related question. If you connect to a
device console through a terminal server session. How do you execute
the break sequence without the terminal server dropping you out of
your session. (using a Cisco 2600 router with a 32 port async card)
That break sequence leaves the traceroute going and your console
session logged in, but suspends your connection to the device and
returns you to the exec of the terminal server.

I end up having to watch the traceroute complete, which is painful.

Any ideas, anyone?
Kevin