Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Database adapters

Database adapters

Ed Leafe

I'm using Python for my database work, and need to be able to connect
to various servers, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, and others.
There are a number of adapters available for each of these, but I run
into the same problem with all: I need to have that database server
installed on the machine for which I need to build the adapter. Since
my development work is done on a workstation and not a server, this
causes a problem.

How do I accomplish this? How can I build, say, psycopg so that I can
connect from my dev machine to a server that's on another host
somewhere on the internet?

___/
/
__/
/
____/
Ed Leafe
http://leafe.com/
http://dabodev.com/

Cy Edmunds

"Ed Leafe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using Python for my database work, and need to be able to connect
> to various servers, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, and others.
> There are a number of adapters available for each of these, but I run
> into the same problem with all: I need to have that database server
> installed on the machine for which I need to build the adapter. Since
> my development work is done on a workstation and not a server, this
> causes a problem.
>
> How do I accomplish this? How can I build, say, psycopg so that I can
> connect from my dev machine to a server that's on another host
> somewhere on the internet?
>
> ___/
> /
> __/
> /
> ____/
> Ed Leafe
> http://leafe.com/
> http://dabodev.com/

I connect to various types of databases from Python using ODBC. All you need
on the client side is an ODBC driver.

Of course there are lots of caveats. You aren't going to get the full set of
features from each vendor by using a common interface. There are also syntax
differences between the SQL dialects supported by various vendors. For my
simple applications these have not been serious problems but YMMV.

--
Cy
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

Ricardo Bugalho

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:07:20 -0400, Ed Leafe wrote:

> same problem with all: I need to have that database server installed on
> the machine for which I need to build the adapter. Since my development
> work is done on a workstation and not a server, this causes a problem.
>
> How do I accomplish this? How can I build, say, psycopg so that I can
> connect from my dev machine to a server that's on another host somewhere
> on the internet?

Both the MySQL and PostgreSQL adapters support connections to remote
servers. I'd bet they all do.
I don't understand what your problem is.

--
Ricardo

Istvan Albert

Ed Leafe wrote:

> How do I accomplish this? How can I build, say, psycopg so that I
> can connect from my dev machine to a server that's on another host
> somewhere on the internet?

As others have pointed out you need to have the header and library files.
Note that having a db installed does not mean that you have all these
files.

For binary compatible systems you could compile your db modules on one
system and then copy them to the other.

Istvan.

Ed Leafe

On Jul 12, 2004, at 6:37 PM, Cy Edmunds wrote:

> I connect to various types of databases from Python using ODBC. All
> you need
> on the client side is an ODBC driver.

Since I'm developing a framework, I need to support what people are
using. If I could force them all to use a single method, life would be
easier for me!

___/
/
__/