Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [Zope] ZClass/External File or What?

[Zope] ZClass/External File or What?

mir nazim

Hi,
I am a PHP deleloper. i am currently studying Zope and want to migrate
to it. I have developped a school management system in PHP. but now I
want to implement it in Zope. I have worked through The Zope Book 2.6
quickly. My problem is that I am confused where to start.

I am giving a brief account of what I want to do.

I have Identified Following class stuucture.

class Person(Persistent):
# inherits from Persistence.Persistent. to be stored in ZODB
# Data Mambers:
self.firstName
self.midName
self.lastName
self.sex
self.dob
# And other data members like address, city, phone etc.

# Methods:
getFistName(self)
getMidName(self)
getLastName(self)
getSex(self)
getDob(self)
setFistName(self)
setMidName(self)
setLastName(self)
setSex(self)
setDob(self)

class Student(Person):
# inherits from Person.
# Data Members specific to students like;
# Fee Status, class, course etc.

# Data Members:
# method for accessing and modifying attribute of student

System is supposed to admit students and assign unique ids to
them. student object will be stored in ZODB. searchning on id, first,
mid and last names and possibly on other attributes like sex, date of
birth etc has to be provided. system is to be used by end users and
not zope administrators.

Now the problem is that I am confused how to implement these
classes. Should I implement them as ZClass or in External Files etc.
Please Clarify. if p[ossible please recomend improvements on design
also.

Actually it is a small part of overall system which provides
transport management, class/course management, exam/result management,
employees payrolls and basic accounting for high schools. but to start
with it should be enough to help me get a better feel of zope.

Thanks...

Mir Nazim.

Thomas Guettler

Am Mon, 12 Jul 2004 06:17:03 -0700 schrieb mir nazim:

> Hi,
> I am a PHP deleloper. i am currently studying Zope and want to migrate
> to it. I have developped a school management system in PHP. but now I
> want to implement it in Zope. I have worked through The Zope Book 2.6
> quickly. My problem is that I am confused where to start.

Hi,

In the year 2001 I had the same questions.
I found it difficult to code with Zope. So I switched
to ZODB+Quixote:

Here is a good introduction to ZODB programming:

http://zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage/guide/index.html

Regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Güttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/

Bruno Desthuilliers

mir nazim wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a PHP deleloper. i am currently studying Zope and want to migrate
> to it. I have developped a school management system in PHP. but now I
> want to implement it in Zope. I have worked through The Zope Book 2.6
> quickly. My problem is that I am confused where to start.
>
> I am giving a brief account of what I want to do.
>
> I have Identified Following class stuucture.

(snip)

> Now the problem is that I am confused how to implement these
> classes. Should I implement them as ZClass or in External Files etc.
> Please Clarify. if p[ossible please recomend improvements on design
> also.

I guess you'd better make it a product. You'll find a couple of
tutorials and probably useful base classes here :
http://zope.org/Members/maxm/index_html

Bruno