Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Why would I learn Python over other languages?

Re: Why would I learn Python over other languages?

Charif Lakchiri

Thank you all for the enlighting information and opinions. It was very, very
helpful.
I have setup up Python on my system and played around a bit with, and I have
to admit that it's surprisingly simple and easy to get things done with it.
However, in my "quest" for interpreted oo scripting languages, I also came
across a language called Ruby. I know it's a lot to ask, but I would really
appreciate a few words, no great detail, comparing Python to Ruby from those
of you who have experience with both.
Thank you again.
--
charif

"Charif Lakchiri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cciknr$9l0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, here's what I know so far about Python:
> It's an object-oriented scripting language, supported on many platforms.
>
> Now here are my questions:
> It is easy to learn?
> Does it support GUI programming?
> Does it support server-side programming, say for web apps?
> Does it have extensions and libraries, say for DB connectivity, serial com
> or network programming...?
> Can it be used for administrative tasks, say as perl...?
> Also, can it be compiled to native code?
>
> Also much appreciated would be simple comparisons with say JAVA (my other
> candidate), and pointers to sites and docs where to start.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> charif

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:18:05 +0900, "Charif Lakchiri"
<(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

> appreciate a few words, no great detail, comparing Python to Ruby from those
> of you who have experience with both.
> Thank you again.

Based solely on skimming the O'Reilly book on Ruby... Ruby
attempted to merge the best parts of Python with the worst parts of $&%@
Perl...

> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <

Michele Simionato

"Charif Lakchiri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ccldam$a55$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> However, in my "quest" for interpreted oo scripting languages, I also came
> across a language called Ruby. I know it's a lot to ask, but I would really
> appreciate a few words, no great detail, comparing Python to Ruby from those
> of you who have experience with both.

I do not have real esperience with Ruby but I have played a bit with it
and read many comparisons. From an high level perspective is not very different
from Python. With respect to your original questions:

> > It is easy to learn?

More or less both Python and Ruby as easy to learn (maybe Python is a
bit easier and better documented overall, but Ruby has a beatiful "Pragmatic
programmer" book that you can get for free and it is much better than the
Python tutorial)

> > Does it support GUI programming?

Yes. Probably Python supports more different toolkits and support them better.
Ruby is a younger language.

> > Does it support server-side programming, say for web apps?
> > Does it have extensions and libraries, say for DB connectivity, serial com
> > or network programming...?

Yes and yes. Again, Python libraries are more mature.

> > Can it be used for administrative tasks, say as perl...?

Yes. One may argue that Ruby is a better scripting language than Python
(which I feel a bit weak for scripts under 10 lines of code).

> > Also, can it be compiled to native code?

No, both Ruby and Python are the same in this respect. If you are looking
for speed Python has psyco, I don't know if Ruby has something equivalent.
If you are looking for easy of distribution Python has py2exe and the Mac
Miller installer, Ruby must have something equivalent, ask on comp.lang.ruby.

> > Also much appreciated would be simple comparisons with say JAVA (my other
> > candidate), and pointers to sites and docs where to start.

Both Python and Ruby are much better than Java as programmming languages.
If you want to use Java libraries there is Jython; I don't know if Ruby
has an equivalent.

Michele Simionato

bruno modulix

Charif Lakchiri a écrit :
> Thank you all for the enlighting information and opinions. It was very, very
> helpful.
> I have setup up Python on my system and played around a bit with, and I have
> to admit that it's surprisingly simple and easy to get things done with it.
> However, in my "quest" for interpreted oo scripting languages, I also came
> across a language called Ruby. I know it's a lot to ask, but I would really
> appreciate a few words, no great detail, comparing Python to Ruby from those
> of you who have experience with both.

Ok, let's do it again :
>>It is easy to learn?

Yes, but not quite as easy as Python - unless you have prior experience
with Smalltalk and Lisp.

>>Does it support GUI programming?

Of course (more or less the same toolkits as Python)

>>Does it support server-side programming, say for web apps?

Of course

>>Does it have extensions and libraries, say for DB connectivity, serial com
>>or network programming...?

Of course

>>Can it be used for administrative tasks, say as perl...?

Of course, and it's probably better at this than Python (well, at least
more suited to Perl-like hacking ?-)

>>Also, can it be compiled to native code?

AFAIK, no.