Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: Win32 extensions no go on Win 95

RE: Win32 extensions no go on Win 95

Tim Golden

| Over the last days I desperately tried to install Python 2.3.4 and the
| Win32 extensions on a Win 95 box (actually more than 1, but my futile
| trying was done on just one).

Entirely non-authoritative answer:

1) I believe the core Python stuff should install on any Win9x. Haven't
tried it, but I don't recall any complaints that you couldn't. (Although
how many people would have tried?)

2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
for Win95. Should be possible to install / build older pywin32
versions from Mark's Python homepage:
http://starship.python.net/crew/mham...Downloads.html

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk

Hans-Joachim Widmaier

Tim Golden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> 1) I believe the core Python stuff should install on any Win9x.

Yes, core Python runs well.

> 2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
> while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
> for Win95.

This is news to me. Bad news.

> Should be possible to install / build older pywin32
> versions from Mark's Python homepage:
> http://starship.python.net/crew/mham...Downloads.html

That would be my last-straw option: Use an old version of
Python/win32all and backport my program. Not something I'm very fond
of.
Right now I'm trying to compile pywin32-202 myself, leaving out all
the stuff Win95 doesn't know of. This proves to be a thoroughly
frustrating experience however, since I don't know anything about
Windows programming. (I wrote a few DOS command line tools, and even
these I cross-compiled on a Linux machine.)

Yesterday I also tried ActivePython, with the exact same results. No
good week for me.

Hans-Joachim Widmaier
> TJG

> http://www.star.net.uk

Peter Hansen

Hans-Joachim Widmaier wrote:

> Tim Golden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>>2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
>> while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
>> for Win95.

> This is news to me. Bad news.

Perhaps Mark would be more than happy to sustain compatibility
for a while if someone was paying for the work...

(But why would anyone need to stick with Win95 at this point?)

-Peter

Hans-Joachim Widmaier

Tim Golden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> 1) I believe the core Python stuff should install on any Win9x.

Yes, core Python runs well.

> 2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
> while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
> for Win95.

This is news to me. Bad news.

> Should be possible to install / build older pywin32
> versions from Mark's Python homepage:
> http://starship.python.net/crew/mham...Downloads.html

That would be my last-straw option: Use an old version of
Python/win32all and backport my program. Not something I'm very fond
of.
Right now I'm trying to compile pywin32-202 myself, leaving out all
the stuff Win95 doesn't know of. This proves to be a thoroughly
frustrating experience however, since I don't know anything about
Windows programming. (I wrote a few DOS command line tools, and even
these I cross-compiled on a Linux machine.)

Yesterday I also tried ActivePython, with the exact same results. No
good week for me.

Hans-Joachim Widmaier
> TJG

> http://www.star.net.uk

David Fraser

Hans-Joachim Widmaier wrote:
> Tim Golden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>

>>1) I believe the core Python stuff should install on any Win9x.

> Yes, core Python runs well.
>

>>2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
>> while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
>> for Win95.

> This is news to me. Bad news.
>

>> Should be possible to install / build older pywin32
>> versions from Mark's Python homepage:
>> http://starship.python.net/crew/mham...Downloads.html

> That would be my last-straw option: Use an old version of
> Python/win32all and backport my program. Not something I'm very fond
> of.

Surely you don't need a much older version of Python? Just an older
version of win32all. That shouldn't require much backporting. It may be
easier to forward-port an old win32all to a new Python than to backport
your program

David