Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Looking for a Python PHP programmer

Looking for a Python PHP programmer

Hi there,

I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer with over 6 years of experience to
develop applications in a UNIX (open source) environment.

The products are DB backed web applications and the skills should include
in-depth knowledge of HTML (actual coding and not wysiwug) and cascade style
sheets.

The application is commercial/corporate server application and the project
is 6 month with a very good pay.

If interested please send your resume to svasjobs (at) NOSPAMpacbell.net
(please remove NOSPAM).

This project is in northern California.

Thanks for your time.

Rene Pijlman

a:
>I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer

Make up your mind please

--
René Pijlman

Reinhold Birkenfeld

Rene Pijlman wrote:
> a:
>>I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer

> Make up your mind please

Why? http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jon/projects/pip/

Reinhold

--
Wenn eine Linuxdistribution so wenig brauchbare Software wie Windows
mitbrächte, wäre das bedauerlich. Was bei Windows der Umfang eines

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Rene Pijlman wrote:
> a:
>
>>I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer

> Make up your mind please

It's not unrealistic that they have projects where both languages are
involved.

-- Gerhard

Roger Binns

Rene Pijlman wrote:
> a:
> > I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer

> Make up your mind please

I've done Python/PHP programming! I did all the hard work in Python
and then used XML-RPC between Python and PHP to draw the results (the
majority of which was done using Smarty). The Python types converted
very nicely into PHP types, but with some constraints (you can't use
None). I used dicts and lists from the Python side.

I even stored the Smarty templates on the Python side so that Python
was completely in control. The main pure PHP piece was dealing with
file uploads, but that is because I wanted the uploaded files to
stay on the PHP machine.

Roger

Leif K-Brooks

a wrote:
> I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer with over 6 years of experience to
> develop applications in a UNIX (open source) environment.

PHP 3, the first version resembling the PHP we know and hate today, was
only released in June 1998. It seems a bit unreasonable to expect people
to have been using it since a month after its release.

Peter Hansen

Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> a wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer with over 6 years of
>> experience to
>> develop applications in a UNIX (open source) environment.

> PHP 3, the first version resembling the PHP we know and hate today, was
> only released in June 1998. It seems a bit unreasonable to expect people
> to have been using it since a month after its release.

It's not clear that the six years of experience necessarily
applies to the "Python/PHP" part more than it was intended
to apply just to the "programmer" part. Usually, or at least
most often, I believe, years of experience is intended to
suggest a particular level of "programming maturity" rather
than simply X years of having used a given language.

Of course, maybe they really do want someone who has done
Python and PHP together for six years, in which case more
power to them because they're rather limiting themselves
to a small supply...

-Peter

Roger Binns

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> a wrote:
> > I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer with over 6 years of experience to
> > develop applications in a UNIX (open source) environment.

> PHP 3, the first version resembling the PHP we know and hate today, was
> only released in June 1998. It seems a bit unreasonable to expect people
> to have been using it since a month after its release.

They may mean 6 years of general experience, not necessarily experience
in PHP and Python for that period of time. I have frequently heard
anecdotal "evidence" that it takes about 2 weeks to turn a decent
programmer into a decent Python programmer.

PHP seemed a little hairier to me and by my estimation would take about
2 months to reach the same level of proficiency. A lot of that is due
to the PHP history, as any particular version has all sorts of stuff
that is being cleaned up and/or deprecated. Everything being a
string is also a help in a web environment, until it starts hindering
you adding to the proficiency time.

Roger

Rene Pijlman

Roger Binns:
>I've done Python/PHP programming! I did all the hard work in Python
>and then used XML-RPC between Python and PHP to draw the results (the
>majority of which was done using Smarty).

OK, but I'm just curious... why didn't you use one of the Python-based
template systems?

--
René Pijlman

Roger Binns

Rene Pijlman wrote:
> OK, but I'm just curious... why didn't you use one of the Python-based
> template systems?

The most immediate problem was that the ISP didn't have mod_python or
something similar installed. The implementation had to have seperate
back and front ends to prove that the front end could be done in any
language of the customer's choosing (I mainly expect them to want to
do Java).

And then none of the Python template systems I looked at match the
simplicity of Smarty's modifiers. Look at
http://smarty.php.net/crashcourse.php and see things like
|captitalize and |escape. The full list is at
http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/language.modifiers.php
I also wrote one or two of my own.

I also needed to use the capture function for some pieces of
repeated text. And I also wrote some of my own control structures
to help encapsulate form and state information.

The Smarty documentation is excellent. Smarty definitely falls into
the "do one thing and do it well" camp. I was VERY productive in
Smarty, and the source is immediately readable to people who don't
know PHP.

For Python, I think the closest match is Cheetah, but it tries to be
more generic, the filter syntax is less friendly than the Smarty version,
and it seems more clunky. Some familiarity with the Python standard
library is also needed by other people reading your source.

Roger