Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > using python with HTML and parameters

using python with HTML and parameters

David Stockwell

Hi,

In java/jsp I can pass parameters to my python script on a webpage by doing
something like this:

http://somewhere.org/mypage.jsp?parm...&parm2=another

How do I do that with python?

Also would I need to import a special module so I could grab them off the
'line' (I' m not sure what you call it if its a command line, etc as its
coming via a 'get' or 'post' request via HTTP protocol.

On the webpage I am building I would like to pass parameters to python.

Thanks !

David Stockwell
-------
Tracfone: http://cellphone.duneram.com/index.html
Cam: http://www.duneram.com/cam/index.html
Tax: http://www.duneram.com/index.html

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar get it now!
http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/

Peter Maas

David Stockwell schrieb:

> In java/jsp I can pass parameters to my python script on a webpage by
> doing something like this:
>
> http://somewhere.org/mypage.jsp?parm...&parm2=another
>
> How do I do that with python?

If your Python Script uses CGI it's

http://somewhere.org/mypage.py?parm1...&parm2=another

You have to parse the query string with cgi.parse().

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Tel +49-241-93878-0
eMail 'cGV0ZXIubWFhc0BtcGx1c3IuZGU=\n'.decode('base64')

Peter Maas

Peter Maas schrieb:
> If your Python Script uses CGI it's
>
> http://somewhere.org/mypage.py?parm1...&parm2=another

Correction: this URL does not depend on CGI, only the Python code.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Tel +49-241-93878-0
eMail 'cGV0ZXIubWFhc0BtcGx1c3IuZGU=\n'.decode('base64')

John J. Lee

"David Stockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In java/jsp I can pass parameters to my python script on a webpage by
> doing something like this:
>
> http://somewhere.org/mypage.jsp?parm...&parm2=another

Call me picky <wink>, but that looks like a URL to me, not a piece of
Java code.

> How do I do that with python?

If you mean, "how do I pass parameters to a Python CGI script?", then,
well, exactly the same way as to any other CGI script. A URL like the
one you give above, or HTTP POST data (or both).

> Also would I need to import a special module so I could grab them off
> the 'line' (I' m not sure what you call it if its a command line, etc
> as its coming via a 'get' or 'post' request via HTTP protocol.

No, that's the web server's job.

However, if you're writing a CGI script that will handle, you may want
to make use of the standard library cgi module. And, if you're doing
anything more than a quick hack of a script, I'd advise dropping the
cgi module and using one of the many web frameworks available for
Python instead (eg. Quixote).

HTH

John

Paul Boddie

"David Stockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
>
> In java/jsp I can pass parameters to my python script on a webpage by doing
> something like this:
>
> http://somewhere.org/mypage.jsp?parm...&parm2=another
>
> How do I do that with python?

As others have inferred from this question, you're presumably looking
for a way of interpreting the URL's parameters within Python, right?

> Also would I need to import a special module so I could grab them off the
> 'line' (I' m not sure what you call it if its a command line, etc as its
> coming via a 'get' or 'post' request via HTTP protocol.

I believe "request parameters" is the best term to use here.

> On the webpage I am building I would like to pass parameters to python.

Well, your URL will pass two parameters to a resource exposed as
"mypage.jsp" (which could actually be a Python script given the
appropriate Web server configuration, although I suppose you're using
a JSP resource as an example of how you'd do it with Java/JSP); these
parameters would be "parm1" and "parm2", and I suppose you'd use the
Java Servlet API methods getParameter or getParameterValues to get the
associated values which are "something" and "another" respectively for
the specified parameters.

Now, in Python, it really depends on your chosen technology as to how
you get those values. Anything vaguely based on the cgi module
(http://docs.python.org/lib/module-cgi.html) will require you to get
hold of a FieldStorage object and then to use the getvalue method on
it, although care has to be taken about the result and whether it's a
list or not (since you can have many values for a given parameter
name).

In WebStack (http://www.python.org/pypi?:action=d...ck&version=0.5)
I've tried to standardise this kind of thing, even converting
parameter values from POST requests to Unicode in order to remove
difficulties when actually using such values later on, but on matters
of standardisation the Web-SIG remains silent, so I wouldn't expect
the confusing situation to remedy itself any time soon.

Paul