Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > suse 9.1 and 64

suse 9.1 and 64

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Why should there have to be a multi-level workaround for mmap?

Because a fix won't be available until Python 2.5.

Regards,
Martin

Mike Coleman

"Martin v. L÷wis" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I see. Then the current limitation is in no way serious for you. You
> apparently don't have the actual need, with an actual limitation in
> actual data, which forces you to take work-arounds at the present
> day.

That's correct. I did bump into the limitation while designing a program a
couple of years ago, in the sense that I discovered it and worked around it.
(I don't recall exactly what the workaround was--maybe I switched to C++ for
that program.)

> For the specific example of large strings, you might have to
> introduce a "multi-level" string, where a string wrapper has ten
> strings, each 1GB of size, to achive the illusion of a 10GB string;
> likewise for mmap. Yes, that would be a work-around, but apparently
> none that you already had to make.

This would kind of work. It doesn't seem like you could pass such a string as
an argument to re.match or re.sub or as an operand to 'in', though, and expect
things to work correctly.

Anyway, I was just curious about the status of this. Thanks!

Mike

wxPython and SuSE 10.0 Steve Python 4 04-08-2006 02:44 PM
suse linux 10 and wx.listctrl display issues =?iso-8859-1?B?aWFuYXLp?= Python 3 03-13-2006 06:16 PM
Suse 9.2 pro and ATI 9000 dual head graphic card. kenny Computer Support 1 03-25-2005 10:47 PM
Remove SuSE and add 98SE Use.Netuser.de Computer Support 7 12-09-2004 03:51 AM
pyPgSQL and SUSE 9.1 John fabiani Python 0 06-03-2004 05:11 AM

Advertisments