Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > new to this

new to this

pearsoneric

I have never tried to program before but I'm starting a class and I
was wondering if anyone knew the best way to get started learning
about python?? Any help would be very much welcomed because I have
no idea what I'm doing.. Are there any good books out there?

Chris S.

pearsoneric wrote:

> I have never tried to program before but I'm starting a class and I
> was wondering if anyone knew the best way to get started learning
> about python?? Any help would be very much welcomed because I have
> no idea what I'm doing.. Are there any good books out there?

There are several good books, but the best place to start is
www.python.org/doc

Peter Hansen

Chris S. wrote:

> pearsoneric wrote:
>
>> I have never tried to program before but I'm starting a class and I
>> was wondering if anyone knew the best way to get started learning
>> about python?? Any help would be very much welcomed because I have no
>> idea what I'm doing.. Are there any good books out there?

> There are several good books, but the best place to start is
> www.python.org/doc

Or, arguably, http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html, which is
admittedly linked under the original page, or perhaps
http://www.python.org/topics/learn/ which is linked under _it_
(through "Beginner's Guide").

-Peter

altkey

pearsoneric wrote:

> I have never tried to program before but I'm starting a class and I
> was wondering if anyone knew the best way to get started learning
> about python?? Any help would be very much welcomed because I have
> no idea what I'm doing.. Are there any good books out there?

The is a very good book for beginners called "The complete beginners guide
to Python". It will teach you both about python and about programming. Get
a copy from either your library or from a bookstore. I think it will help
you a lot.

cheers,
Phil