Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Instant Messenger Example

Python Instant Messenger Example

Evan McPeters

Does anyone have an example of a simple Instant Messenger program written in
Python?

I have some code for a simple server and simple client communicating over
TCP/IP, so I could always combine both of those into each IM client, but
perhaps there is a better way.

Thank you.

Larry Bates

I haven't personally used any of them, but
you might want to review:

http://xmpppy.sourceforge.net/

http://jabberpy.sourceforge.net/

http://jamwt.com/Py-TOC/

Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

"Evan McPeters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40dbb408$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have an example of a simple Instant Messenger program written

in
> Python?
>
> I have some code for a simple server and simple client communicating over
> TCP/IP, so I could always combine both of those into each IM client, but
> perhaps there is a better way.
>
> Thank you.

Jarek Zgoda

Larry Bates <(E-Mail Removed)> pisze:

> I haven't personally used any of them, but
> you might want to review:
>
> http://xmpppy.sourceforge.net/

This is experimental library, geared towards compatibility with newest
jabberd implementations.

> http://jabberpy.sourceforge.net/

This one is legacy and unmantained code, although works good.

There is one more XMPP/Jabber client library, PyXMPP
http://www.jabberstudio.org/projects/pyxmpp/. As author is Jabber
Software Foundation member, you can expect this one to be "reference
implementation".

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/